A-10s headed back to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Hornets have come back after SAM hits and were flying the next day with just an engine change. All tactical aircraft have survivability built in. The Hornet has 4 fly by wire channels, and 4 hydraulic systems. More redundancy than the A-10 hydraulics and cables if you're counting number of backups available.

I know the A-10. I worked with the A-10 guys in Afghanistan when I was in Al-Udeid. You make it sound mythical, it isn't. I know its capabilities and limitations. It's tough, but it's limited in what it can do.

It's a specialty airplane. It's only good at one mission, and it's only able to do that in a particular set of circumstances. You can't use it for most of the missions that are required in the execution of a campaign. It's only done well in an established theater with air supremacy.

There are reports of an F-15A suffering a mid-air collision, losing a wing, and still landing.

But back to slow moving ground attack aircraft.

Do you remember the first air attacks of the Gulf War? Was it the air superiority F-15? The "wobblin' goblin" F117? Maybe Navy or Marine Hornets.
Nope.
They were US Army Apaches that destroyed the radar sites.

A-10 probably could have done that except I think they were still using the Maverick's infrared camera for night vision.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I thought the FIRST air attacks were Tomahawk cruise missiles.

Let us pause for a moment to remember the brave Tomahawk pilots:

bomb_ride_9769.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back