9spd bike cassette

Quick question about compatibility: my bike runs a 12-26 right now. I slapped on a new chain today and I'm getting skipping, so apparently I let it go too long, time for a new cassette. Since the FD has broken (for the second time) I'm thinking of converting to a 1x and as such, maybe change to a wider range cassette.

So, can I drop an 11-32 on here? I looked and this has the correct freehub, as per Sheldon, with the gap or flat at the end of the body. I think it'll fit but figured I'd ask before I drop $30-40 on one.

Generally Shimano, Campi, and SRAM freehub splines are compatible. You can try an 11-32, but if you don't have a long-cage rear derailleur, then you may have trouble with shifting and chain slack. I've done this with a 10 speed cassette on one of my road bike and it makes steep hills much more doable without burning up your legs.

The small/short cage Shimano rear derailleurs for road bikes usually max out around 28 teeth. They also have a separate limit for total tooth difference from big/big to small/small - so if you have a big difference between the big & small front chainrings, you might not get to 28 in the back. If you replace the rear derailleur with a long cage, you can go up to around 34 teeth or more. One of the standard Shimano rear cassettes is 11-42 which is a nice wide ratio. But I don't think they make that in a 9-speed, so it may require a new shifter. I do, however, know that Shimano (XTR) used to make an 11-34 9-speed rear, cuz that's what's on my tandem which also has a long cage rear derailleur.

To convert to a 1x up front you'll need to check the chainline alignment, and may need a new bottom bracket / spindle or cranks to get it right.

In all this you may detect a domino effect... each thing you change can require 2 other things to change. To avoid that slippery slope, it will probably be cheaper to replace the rear cassette and the front derailleur. You should check the front chainrings too. You should be able to get a Shimano/SRAM 9x rear cassette 11-28 (like this) for around $40. And a decent cheap front derailleur as a used part at a LBS or from eBay.

PS: if your front derailleurs keep breaking, check that they're installed / positioned properly and you're shifting properly. They usually last a lifetime.

Last edited:
FD is a FD-4403 (or was). Notorious for failure. I tried an eBay Ultegra but it was mislabeled, I returned it, and haven't felt like shopping again.

It's a 3x9 setup, 30/42/52, so it's a long cage RD. That's part of the problem, I think this sort of triple got obsolete.

Not going to mess with the BB, I think I tried to remove it once, just to see if I could, and it wasn't budging. When it goes, the bike goes with it, I must have ridden it some spring and I think it got salt exposure. It's still doing its job though, so less replacement is better.

With the FD locked down I might be able to find a spot where it doesn't rub across all 9 gears... but that's part of why I'm thinking of going 1x, 95% of my riding was middle ring, and the bike always had a bit of rub on the FD.

I'll poke around and see if I can find in my spare parts another cassette to toss on. It's effectively a 1x right now, and getting the job done, so I don't "have to" do anything. I did leave the chain long as I was thinking of going to a larger cassette, so maybe the tension is low, and I need to take out the 4 or 5 links that I should have?

... It's a 3x9 setup, 30/42/52, so it's a long cage RD. That's part of the problem, I think this sort of triple got obsolete.
I'll poke around and see if I can find in my spare parts another cassette to toss on. It's effectively a 1x right now, and getting the job done, so I don't "have to" do anything. I did leave the chain long as I was thinking of going to a larger cassette, so maybe the tension is low, and I need to take out the 4 or 5 links that I should have?
Sounds like the standard Shimano 11-34 9-speed cassette will do the job. A long cage RD should work fine with that.

To set chain length:
1. Shift to the biggest front & biggest rear and ensure it's not too tight - RD cage pivoted forward but not too far.
2. Shift to the smallest front & smallest rear and ensure it's not too loose - RD cage not over-pivoted, and chain tension not too loose.

That will be easier if you only use the front middle chainring. Add or remove chain links as necessary. Each chain link has 2 segments and covers 2 teeth, so if the length is just right with a 26 rear, then you should need 4 extra chain links for the 34. The right # of chain links is often forgiving of +/- 1 chain link. But test to be sure.

Sounds like the standard Shimano 11-34 9-speed cassette will do the job. A long cage RD should work fine with that.

To set chain length:
1. Shift to the biggest front & biggest rear and ensure it's not too tight - RD cage pivoted forward but not too far.
2. Shift to the smallest front & smallest rear and ensure it's not too loose - RD cage not over-pivoted, and chain tension not too loose.

That will be easier if you only use the front middle chainring. Add or remove chain links as necessary.
Thanks. Will go ahead and order the cassette, slap it on and then adjust chain.

Before you dive in, you can eyeball the spacing or gap between the RD top pulley and the current cassette when on its biggest (26) ring. You're gonna need a decent gap there to fit a 34, which is about 30% bigger than a 26. If the pulley is riding on or near the chainring, then a 34 won't work.

Curious about breaking an FD. You say that model is notorious for failing? I've ridden for 35 years and can't remember ever breaking one on a road or mtn bike.
Do a search—not trying to be flippant--seems common. For the FD-4403. The mounting boss for the spring boss breaks.

Back