98 Expedition - Need Some Diagnostic Help - Noise and Vibration

I am guessing a CV Axle and a bearing/hub at this point. Eliminated all parts other than wheel and rotor on hub. I spin the wheel as fast as I can by hand and there is not a very noticeable problem, but a slight gritty and dry sound as the speed increases. No noticeable play in the bearing.

Last edited:
Motorcraft has a two year warranty on parts like this. Not sure what you are talking about...
If the part is obsolete, the warranty is null and void. Plus Rock Auto is not a Ford authorized retailer so they would have to cover the warranty in house, not through a dealer. Same as a Motorcraft part bought from OReillys or Autozone.

Motorcraft has a two year warranty on parts like this. Not sure what you are talking about...
The guy you're responding to is a parts guy at a Ford dealership. If he says parts listed as obsolete in Ford's book do not have a warranty, I'd take the advice.

Would I be better off with the MOTORCRAFT NHUB5, or the SKF hub from Rock Auto. Also Timken is available for 20.00 more, with less warranty.
Both Motorcraft and SKF have similar price. Looking for something better than the Driveworks AAP hub I put on last time.
Also don't like ordering the last one of anything online. The NHUB5 shows only 1 left in stock.
Last I researched the SKF name was good for bearings.

Last edited:
SKF is one top maker, as far as 'warranty' from Rockauto, they warranty the part you buy, for return if failure during warranty period. No
labor charges involved, so yes, the parts are under warranty, but not the labor hour cost during assembly removal / install.

This should be a clue, I would think. The front driver side tire is in the original position. The rear tire on the driver side was moved from the front passenger side yesterday. This gives a comparison between front left and right brake dust.
I changed the caliper on the driver side last February. Had questionable pitting on the piston face, so maybe a bad caliper?
Does not pull or hang up. I can spin the tire by hand.
View attachment 68583
Here is that link
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/what-are-these-on-my-caliper-pistons.323049/
These noises are difficult to diagnose, worn tires will mess you up. I had this with the KONA, WHEEL BEARING WAS THE PROBLEM

Still have the problem...grrr.
Replaced driver side front hub bearing assembly using SKF from RA. Replaced drivers side CV axle with Motorcraft from RA. Cleaned and re-lubed drivers side brakes. Replaced passenger side CV axle. Replaced passenger side upper control arm. Rotated tires criss-cross fronts to backs.
Noise still persists...no change in volume or location.
Growling noise as speed increases, noise increases with right turn pressure on steering wheel, goes away with left pressure on steering wheel. A little vibration as well.
Any other ideas?

Maybe it's a back wheel? Standard advice for noise while in motion -- if the noise predictably occurs at low speeds, stand outside and have someone drive the car around and past you so you can listen better to localize it.

Does it have a center bearing on the driveshaft to the rear diff? My Ranger had that noise at 40mph and up. Went away after I drove for a while.

Does it have a center bearing on the driveshaft to the rear diff? My Ranger had that noise at 40mph and up. Went away after I drove for a while.
Nope, it has two driveshafts, one to the front, that's relatively short, and one to the rear, that's longer.

I am leaning toward front differential bearings. Rear bearings replaced last year with OEM.
I started a separate post on the front differential play I have in the shafts.
Parts listed needed replaced anyways, but getting expensive with no improvement.
Might have to pay someone to put it on a lift and listen with drivetrain in motion.

Get all 4 tires off the ground and have someone "drive" the truck up to about 40 or 50 mph while you listen to both sides with a mechanic's stethoscope. Touch the head of one of the bolts that retain the wheel bearing to the spindle with the stethoscope and you'll hear it for sure if it's bad

I am trying to identify the source of noise and slight vibration felt through floor driver and passenger sides, that occurs loudest between 35-60 mph. Vehicle is 98 Sienna. Front wheel bearings replaced 3 years ago, TRW, rear ones last year 2000 miles ago. Tires new 3 years ago. Carrier bearing has no movement detected. Wondering if putting front up on jack stands and running at ~35 would be safe? I assume the carrier bearing or CV is the source but hate to replace with aftermarket parts if not the issue. Outboard boots show some minor cracking near small end just in from clamp, but not torn and are dry.

I finally identified and corrected the problem.
Turns out it was the passenger side wheel bearing. All the diagnostics pointed to a driver's side bearing so I replaced that with a new SKF bearing. Changed the front differential fluid as well. Problem was still the same. I tore down the passenger side to isolate the hub only and sure enough, if I put a little pull force on the hub while turning, I could feel the bad spot. Replaced it with the driver's side that I removed, that I thought was bad, but wasn't and sure enough that corrected the problem. Noise is gone after reassembly and test drive.
This was puzzling and tricky, since it was bad enough to make noise while driving, but not bad enough to be obvious while troubleshooting.

Did similar job on buddies truck new front axles, noise was rear drive shaft joints easily fixed, seems that with age all need replacing eventually

Back