98 Accord Immibilizer - Car dies

My friend's '98 Accord dies intermittently and the green key light comes on the dash.
She took it to a locksmith and asked if the key needs to be reprogrammed; he said no.
He suggested the transponder; I imagine he meant the ignition switch component.

Van the immobilizer function be bypassed?
Do I need an entire switch assy with new keys? I imagine the new keys would need to be programmed anyway.
If so, I would have to tow the car to the locksmith...

Any guidance is accepted.

Has the ignition switch recall been performed yet on the vehicle? Worn contacts can cause stalling. Announced back in '02 covering one million cars. Enter vin on Honda site to see if it was done.

Has the ignition switch recall been performed yet on the vehicle? Worn contacts can cause stalling. Announced back in '02 covering one million cars. Enter vin on Honda site to see if it was done.
It has not been done. I think this one is not part of the recall. I would double check.
It does not act like the switch, but who knows?

Honda Recall 02V120000

Summary​

ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

Consequence​

WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

It's unlikely your problem is the immobilizer. You can check the system by inserting the key and turning the ignition to "on". The green immobilizer light should illuminate for 2 seconds and go out. If you have a problem, it'll start blinking after 2 seconds.

A new OEM ignition switch is ~$80. You don't need to re-key as the electrical switch is separate from the tumblers. I've posted the R&R procedure from the service manual, assuming it falls under fair use. Good luck.

1) Gain Access

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.37.05 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.37.14 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.48.39 AM.jpg

2) Ignition Switch Continuity Test

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.30.22 AM.jpg

3) Ignition Switch Replacement

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.30.32 AM.jpg

Update: I pulled the main relay and opened it up to examine the circuit board. Guess what? There was a cracked solder connection. My understanding is, the main relay will generally cause a no start but MAY cause an intermittant stall.
I had started the search for another car, even though this Accord is in perfect shape. 130K... 2 years ago I gave the car to a friend who is a single Mom. I jumped for joy when I spotted the crack.
1628973118768.jpg

Sweet! Great when you find something like that...even better when the repair is $0!

Back