97 Honda Civic, Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 7.5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: http://www.vtec.net
The 2006 Civic Si incorporates a host of innovative features designed to deliver a cutting-edge combination of performance, fuel efficiency, and low emissions. Most apparent is the i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system, a technology that combines VTC (Variable Timing Control) - which continuously adjusts camshaft phase-with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) – which changes valve lift, timing, and duration. Combining these two systems results in impressive horsepower and high torque with good fuel economy and low exhaust emissions.

• Aluminum block with cast-in iron liners for light weight and durability
• 16-valve DOHC i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system
• Lightweight alloy pistons and forged steel connecting rods (11.0:1 Compression Ratio)
• One-piece crankshaft carrier with ferrous main bearing caps for improved rigidity and durability
• High performance camshafts
• Performance-tuned intake manifold
• Drive-by-wire throttle control
• Computer-controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
• Direct Ignition System
• Chain-driven balancer unit mounted in oil pan
• Torque rod engine mount system consists of an upper and lower torque rod, a hydraulic body mount and a front beam stopper
• Maintenance Minder system
• Maintenance-free silent-chain camshaft drive
• Maintenance-free serpentine accessory drive with auto tensioner

They gave the common "coil-on-plug" ignition a decpetive "i-VTEC direct ignition" name? Sneaky sneaky! The uneducated person will confuse "direct ignition" with "direct injection". I wonder how much they paid the marketing psychologist team to come up with this stuff? I don't respect companies that spend resources to deceive the hands that feed them. Everything in this list has been done before, even since 1991 like the the one-piece iron crank main carrier cast into an aluminum block, the cast iron liners, the not-listed split block, ECM controlled fuel injection (lol, I can't believe they listed this), lightweight recip. assy. and plain ol' COIL ON PLUG ignition. The only 'unique' feature is the dual lift VTEC and probably the Maint.Minder system, and many cars have this and VVT/VVL is no longer uncommon. Sorry about the rant, I just hate marketing deception and unfounded hype!

Since this UOA was done by Oil Analyzers Inc, I think that TBN should NOT go below 2.0...

1.0 is too low with OAI.

Blackstone is 1.0 TBN

Max -

I don't see why you think less of the company. Every company has a list like this; it's both marketing and education.

High performance camshafts is just marketing speak for camshafts. So what?

But drive by wire throttle is important to list.

Forged steel connecting rods is nice, vs. say the cast rods in the new Hyundai Genesis 2.0t

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander

Originally Posted By: http://www.vtec.net
The 2006 Civic Si incorporates a host of innovative features designed to deliver a cutting-edge combination of performance, fuel efficiency, and low emissions. Most apparent is the i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system, a technology that combines VTC (Variable Timing Control) - which continuously adjusts camshaft phase-with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) – which changes valve lift, timing, and duration. Combining these two systems results in impressive horsepower and high torque with good fuel economy and low exhaust emissions.

• Aluminum block with cast-in iron liners for light weight and durability
• 16-valve DOHC i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system
• Lightweight alloy pistons and forged steel connecting rods (11.0:1 Compression Ratio)
• One-piece crankshaft carrier with ferrous main bearing caps for improved rigidity and durability
• High performance camshafts
• Performance-tuned intake manifold
• Drive-by-wire throttle control
• Computer-controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
• Direct Ignition System
• Chain-driven balancer unit mounted in oil pan
• Torque rod engine mount system consists of an upper and lower torque rod, a hydraulic body mount and a front beam stopper
• Maintenance Minder system
• Maintenance-free silent-chain camshaft drive
• Maintenance-free serpentine accessory drive with auto tensioner

They gave the common "coil-on-plug" ignition a decpetive "i-VTEC direct ignition" name? Sneaky sneaky! The uneducated person will confuse "direct ignition" with "direct injection". I wonder how much they paid the marketing psychologist team to come up with this stuff? I don't respect companies that spend resources to deceive the hands that feed them. Everything in this list has been done before, even since 1991 like the the one-piece iron crank main carrier cast into an aluminum block, the cast iron liners, the not-listed split block, ECM controlled fuel injection (lol, I can't believe they listed this), lightweight recip. assy. and plain ol' COIL ON PLUG ignition. The only 'unique' feature is the dual lift VTEC and probably the Maint.Minder system, and many cars have this and VVT/VVL is no longer uncommon. Sorry about the rant, I just hate marketing deception and unfounded hype!

Let’s see...

A mechanically cam driven distributor with a 1(ONE) common ignition coil, cap, rotor, and 4(FOUR) spark plug wires VS. 4(FOUR) computer controlled ignition coils… Don’t see the deception there my friend.

When comparing these two ignition systems with respect to the maintenance schedule, you’ll find 30,000-mile spark plug service life (1997) VS. 105,000-mile spark plug service life (2006).

Just pointing out the deference a decade of technological advances can make, e.g. 1997 Honda Civic EX VS. 2006 Honda Civic SI.

The term Direct Ignition makes perfect since in this case.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Maybe you should down shift 1 gear when you go up those hills. Lugging a motor uphill will certainly cause more wear.

Guess I wasn’t clear in my earlier post.

I’m never hesitant to down-shift; get the engine into its power band - up towards the red-line - 7000rpm.

Just painting the picture between that and the known reluctance of others to not do so and the differences those two driving styles MIGHT have on a motor oil regarding heat and thermal break-down.

Sounds like you are not lugging it. When going up a hill in top gear I, (when I had a manual) would just easily match revs and drop down a gear to make the engine work less hard than just pressing the gas to maintain speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back