'97 Camry RS3000 Security Under Seat - Compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wife spilled a 5 gallon water bottle behind her seat on her 1997 Camry. The RS300 Security Unit got soaked.

The car died, the horn was on steady until I ran down the street to disconnect the Negative Battery Cable. This was a year ago. Situation:

- I dried it out, the car started and all is well, EXCEPT the Horn don't work. Security blinks the lights, but no Horn. Horn was fine before this water spill.

- I replaced the Horn Fuse and it blows the fuse, even one amperage step up.

Questions:

- If I go to a Junkyard, what years of Camry's have compatible RS3000 units to her 1997?

- Think it's the RS3000 or something else?

She needs her horn to alert inattentive drivers so they don't change lanes into her. Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: Turk
- If I go to a Junkyard, what years of Camry's have compatible RS3000 units to her 1997?

- Think it's the RS3000 or something else?

The 97-99 Camrys are identical, 2000-2001 was a super mild refresh with the grilles and taillights being changed for the most part. In 2002 was a major redesign with a new body, new generation so I'd skip those and newer years.

Was it a container of spring water that spilled, usually those are pretty well sealed.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Was it a container of spring water that spilled, usually those are pretty well sealed.

Yea, it tipped taking a corner fast, hit the door and popped off...
frown.gif

Has to be the RS3000 Unit correct?
Horn circuit goes thru there & blew something in that circuit?

Originally Posted By: Turk
Has to be the RS3000 Unit correct?
Horn circuit goes thru there & blew something in that circuit?

I believe so. My dad had a 97 with the RS3000 and I think the 2001 had it as well. I guess it's located under the passenger seat and was soaked. I'll send Trav a Pm to see if he has any recommendations for you.

Google

Quote:
Toyota Brand

RS3000 ECU - 08190-00921
Part Number: 08190-00921
Write an online review
Not yet rated.

MSRP: $180.54 Our Price: $135.41

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Google

Quote:
Toyota Brand

RS3000 ECU - 08190-00921
Part Number: 08190-00921
Write an online review
Not yet rated.

MSRP: $180.54 Our Price: $135.41

Naw, it's MUCH cheaper out of my local Junkyard. Like $5.00

Before replacing it try removing the unit first and flushing its connector with distilled water then blow it off with compressed air. If you can open the unit do so and spray it down with contact cleaner and let it air dry.
Do the same for the connector in the car, dip the whole connector in a pan of distilled water and dry it off thoroughly with compressed air.
When both are dry use some CRC contact cleaner on the contacts before reassembly.

It might be futile but certainly worth a shot and its cheap enough. If you do open the unit make sure and seal it with a small bead of clear flowable windshield RTV on the gasket before closing it.

Just look for that number.

I would think having water (and soda and chips and fries and burger grease) dumped in them isn't that uncommon though...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Before replacing it try removing the unit first and flushing its connector with distilled water then blow it off with compressed air. If you can open the unit do so and spray it down with contact cleaner and let it air dry.
Do the same for the connector in the car, dip the whole connector in a pan of distilled water and dry it off thoroughly with compressed air.
When both are dry use some CRC contact cleaner on the contacts before reassembly.

It might be futile but certainly worth a shot and its cheap enough. If you do open the unit make sure and seal it with a small bead of clear flowable windshield RTV on the gasket before closing it.

Hey thanks Trav.....

Yea, I pretty much did all that (as I was 32 years in electronics engineering), except the RTV. .

It was R/O water BTW...

Turk, where's this RS3000 located? I looked under my seats and saw nothing, I have remote entry but not sure of alarm. I can see if I can find it to see if it's the same for the 2000 & 2001 Camry's for you

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Turk, where's this RS3000 located? I looked under my seats and saw nothing, I have remote entry but not sure of alarm. I can see if I can find it to see if it's the same for the 2000 & 2001 Camry's for you

'97-'99 are a little different than yours.

I think I read something yesterday that yours is around the glove compartment. Do a google search to be sure.
Or, just look.
wink.gif

Went to the U-Pick.

There were Camrys, but none had the Security System, so I'll have to find one some other way.
frown.gif

My Wife needs a Horn in all her Rush-Hour Traffic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back