'97 Audi Cabeiolet - 650 mile Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. The letter I attached below is what I sent to Blackstone with my oil sample. Its pretty well explained what the story of my car is.
I usually buy always the "full synthetic" oil. Its just makes me feel better. This particular car and engine set up is proven in the audi community to run very good even in the $20 specials in jiffy lube and some unknown oil filters. So any better oil would work as bad as any regular conventional oil. And I decided to run the 100% synthetic group IV(is it really like Signature series) Amsoil 5w40 classic saps. Its again about the feeling. I am well aware that it probably make no difference especially in the mileage I put on it.
And second reason it is because its kind of cheap. I am lucky enough to be near one of the 11 Amsoil warehouses in the US in which you can go pick it up and avoid shipping which would jack up the price. I have the $10 membership and 1 qt of this oil is $6.85 (instead of $9.45+tax) and 5qt cost me $34.25+tax.
only thing I have to do is order it online and go pick it up in 2 hours. If you show up there you cant buy but they have a phone line which you call and pay over the phone and then they give it to you. But this is their own warehouse, not a dealer. Its like 4-5 miles from me. For my other german cars I use always different oil brand with the correct spec. I have put Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline VW502 specs in this car before. I am not sure this is a good idea but I change oil brands a lot. I probably will try some Motul or Red line too.

One problem i am having reading this forum for the last 2 years is that i cant settle on a certain oil and keep using only it. If someone gives me a "professional" opinion i would feel better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not the oil you used. SEA30ND would show trace additive amounts, not the full blown add pack that is showing on the UOA. In any case, VERY nice ride.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Definitely not the oil you used. SEA30ND would show trace additive amounts, not the full blown add pack that is showing on the UOA. In any case, VERY nice ride.

The Oil analysis is NOT his non/low detergent break in oil...it is Amsoil Euro 5W-40.

Beautiful car and the oil choice looks fine. Is this that Cabriolet that got a new factory short block and cylinder heads to bring the engine to like new condition? If so you have a jewel. Enjoy.

I don't know. A feel like they should reinforce it or something. Too many heavy vehicles around.

Originally Posted by DB_Cooper
Beautiful car and the oil choice looks fine. Is this that Cabriolet that got a new factory short block and cylinder heads to bring the engine to like new condition? If so you have a jewel. Enjoy.

I bought the engine block because Audi was clearing their old stock obsolete engines. It was too old and i guess nobody was buying them anymore after the last car to have this engine was 1998 model ywar. Its was discounted from $5000+ to $499. So i bought it just to preserve the car for longer i thought. It was complete and not much critical assembly was needed beside cyl heads. Car was in great shape before that but new engine wouldnt hurt. Old one had 139k miles. Then i bought all new parts too that were way more than the engine itself. I reused intake, exhaust and wiring and fuel lines but all moving parts were new. And i converted it to manual. Every pre A4 audi was way better quality and are much more reliable than later Audis.

http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6482/039207334-big.jpg
http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6482/039207333-big.jpg

and here is the letter that was erased from my original post
http://media.snimka.bg/s1/6482/039207331-big.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back