'96 Miata Tranny and Diff Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a '96 Miata and I'm getting ready to change the transmission and differential oil. The miata.net forums recommend Redline oils, but I'm doing it this weekend and that's not enough leadtime to locate it.

Is there another readily available (read: Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, O'Reilly Auto) oil that would work in the meantime before I can get another opportunity to change the oil and order Redline?

DID YOU CHECK OUT WWW.REDLINEOIL.COM THE HAVE A DIST IN DALLAS & FORT WORTH .. ALSO IF YOU CAN FIND A GEAR OIL THATS 75W90 FOR THE DIFF . AND YOU WOULD NEED A 75W90 GEAR OIL WITHOUT THE NON-SLIP PACKAGE (75W90NS) FOR THE TRANNY..

quote:

Originally posted by Narcoleptic:
I just bought a '96 Miata and I'm getting ready to change the transmission and differential oil. The miata.net forums recommend Redline oils, but I'm doing it this weekend and that's not enough leadtime to locate it.

Is there another readily available (read: Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, O'Reilly Auto) oil that would work in the meantime before I can get another opportunity to change the oil and order Redline?

Does your manual tranny take ATF? Does your diff take 75w90 gear oil? If so, in both cases, Mobil 1 makes pretty decent stuff that is available just about everywhere. Based on UOAs and input from people using these fluids, I think the Redline fluids for tranny & differential are a notch above Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 is still pretty good stuff to use if you can't get Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by MARCUSBEAR:
DID YOU CHECK OUT WWW.REDLINEOIL.COM THE HAVE A DIST IN DALLAS & FORT WORTH .. ALSO IF YOU CAN FIND A GEAR OIL THATS 75W90 FOR THE DIFF . AND YOU WOULD NEED A 75W90 GEAR OIL WITHOUT THE NON-SLIP PACKAGE (75W90NS) FOR THE TRANNY..

I called Redline, and they have one in Plano and one in Fort Worth. The FTW dealer closes before I could make it over there today. I do plan to purchase the oil from the FTW dealer, as its only 50 cents more than an online dealer, which is easily eaten up by shipping costs.

quote:

Originally posted by MRC01:
Does your manual tranny take ATF? Does your diff take 75w90 gear oil? If so, in both cases, Mobil 1 makes pretty decent stuff that is available just about everywhere. Based on UOAs and input from people using these fluids, I think the Redline fluids for tranny & differential are a notch above Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 is still pretty good stuff to use if you can't get Redline.

The transmission uses 75W90 as does the diff. Although some on the forums I mentioned use Redline MTL, which I believe is 70W-80. I'm pulling the exact weight recommendation from memory, I'll have to check my manual when I get home. I do remember that in the diff Mazda merely states GL-5 and nothing more.

I had forgotten about Mobil 1's gear oil, I currently use their motor oil. Thank you.

Narc, I'd put off the job and wait for the correct fluids if it comes to that ... and I think you're on the right track with the Red Line stuff. You don't have to do this job very often ... best to do it right.
wink.gif

If the tranny calls for 75W90, you should use Red Line MT-90 (GL-4) and NOT the thinner MTL.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Narc, I'd put off the job and wait for the correct fluids if it comes to that ... and I think you're on the right track with the Red Line stuff. You don't have to do this job very often ... best to do it right.
wink.gif

The only reason I'm a bit paranoid is the car has 128,000 miles on it. It has been very well taken care of, but I didn't get any records for it. I've already replaced the timing belt since it is overdue (every 60,000 miles) and wanted to get some fresh gear oil in just in case it still has the original oil in it.

Top off the fluid with any gear oil. Buy one quart of cheap stuff at quickee auto parts and open the fill plugs and top off.
Then, order the good stuff(5 quarts should be enough) and change it out later.

I'm using Redline MT90 in my Mazda's 5 speed. The rearend has Mobil1 GL5 75w90 since it is available everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back