‘95 4Runner with 22RE

I picked up a ‘95 4Runner with the 22RE and 5 speed manual maybe 8 months ago. I ran it for a little bit on the oil the guy had in it but then did a change to Supertech FS 5W-30 High Mileage and a Fram Ultra XG8A after a couple months.

There does seem to be some oil consumption issues as i have had to top it off every few hundred miles. It seems to have slowed down a little since starting to run the supertech but still seems to need a little bit here and there. I don't see any external leaks.

I’ve also noticed the new oil turned pretty dark very quickly. Darker than my F150 ecoboost oil after 5k miles 😂 Would this suggest there maybe was some buildup or sludge that the Supertech is breaking up? Would it be worth running SeaFoam or something it the oil for a few hundred miles and do a change? The only other engine ive seen turn oil this dark this fast was my Jeep Liberty CRD but that was due to soot.

Any recommendations on oil? Should i maybe move to a 0W-40 or 5W-40 Rotella T6 or something?

926D86C7-73BE-434E-8C0A-BA2B426B67B7.jpeg

Oil temps?
Change your pcv valve if you have one.

I'd step up to a higher hths euro 5w30. And, if consumption doesnt drop off, then to the 40 grades.

Or, a add a snake oil for the 1st pint of topping off and see what happens. In no specific order and no more than 1 per interval:
BG MOA 110 or 115

‘95 was a transition year i believe. I think there may have been a 95.5 which was the 3rd gen that had the 1RZ 2.7L. Mine is a 2nd gen.
Something doesn't add up, anyways, wait a month and change the oil again. In the meantime, top off the oil as necessary and don't add any additives. Change the oil at regular intervals moving forward because anything aggressive may do more harm than good. The oil darkening suggests it's slowly cleaning, which is what you want.

Edit: You can keep using the same oil to set a baseline; it's working!

Last edited:
We don't really know the source of this leak. How's the head gasket ? My 1988 22RE never consumed oil out to over 400k miles. Also, use 10W-30. Good luck.

Wait for summer and condemn it to the lands of supertech conventional 20w50. But in all seriousness if its burning that bad I'd just run whatever cheap or on sale 5w30 you can get and change it frequently.

Most people ran 10w-40 and 20w-50 in those. Listen for a weird rattle from the front of the engine. When the plastic chain runners break the timing chain eats a hole in the timing cover which dumps the coolant into the oil.

Toyota says 80k on a chain. Many people go much longer though.

That should be a great little unit. Easy to work on for sure.

I had that or a similar engine with a 5MT in an '81 Celica. Mine never burned any oil, but it developed a small external oil leak from the head gasket. I had to pay to have it done because my daughter was driving the car at university and they were 1300 Km away.

I ran conventional 5W-30 in it year 'round.

Most people ran 10w-40 and 20w-50 in those. Listen for a weird rattle from the front of the engine. When the plastic chain runners break the timing chain eats a hole in the timing cover which dumps the coolant into the oil.

Toyota says 80k on a chain. Many people go much longer though.
The chain was replaced and guides upgraded not long before I got it.

That should be a great little unit. Easy to work on for sure.

I had that or a similar engine with a 5MT in an '81 Celica. Mine never burned any oil, but it developed a small external oil leak from the head gasket. I had to pay to have it done because my daughter was driving the car at university and they were 1300 Km away.

I ran conventional 5W-30 in it year 'round.
Super easy to work on. Engine swapping these 2nd gen to a 3rd gen motor is pretty popular. If i ever do that I will probably swap to the 1RZ 4 cyl as opposed to the V6.

If it's consuming oil and also turning the oil dark quickly after an oil change, I'd say the rings are worn, allowing oil up into the combustion chamber and allowing combustion blow-by down into the crankcase. How many miles on it?
If your ambient low temps allow a 10w, I would run 10w30. Just a little more stout than 5w30. I would not run HM oil unless it's got leaking gaskets or seals, or makes unusual "worn engine" noises.
You might get a longer life out of the timing set if you keep a shorter OCI. Or maybe since it's so easy to work on then you won't mind replacing the set again in 80k miles.

If it's consuming oil and also turning the oil dark quickly after an oil change, I'd say the rings are worn, allowing oil up into the combustion chamber and allowing combustion blow-by down into the crankcase. How many miles on it?
If your ambient low temps allow a 10w, I would run 10w30. Just a little more stout than 5w30. I would not run HM oil unless it's got leaking gaskets or seals, or makes unusual "worn engine" noises.
You might get a longer life out of the timing set if you keep a shorter OCI. Or maybe since it's so easy to work on then you won't mind replacing the set again in 80k miles.

its somewhere >207k miles. I dont know exactly because the PO put 5.29 gears and 33’s on it so the speedo and odo are reading almost 20% low.

i live in utah so it does get cold, but the truck is garage kept so rarely is it cold started below 30F. My garage is pretty much always above freezing.

Had the 22re in a 85 (I think) Celica, started using a quart per tank at around 175K IIRC. Took it to my (honest) mechanic (miss you Jimmy!!) I thought it needed a rebuild. He put new valve guide seals in it for around $200 using air pressure thru the spark plug holes. Never used another drop, and passed it on to my son at 250K.

Remembering my first Toyota --Celica, 1971. Had the 8RE, what a great car! I eventually repainted it myself, came out OK except for the color. Supposed to be a Fiat Yellow, but it looked more like a school bus. Anyway, spent what little $ I had on paint but should have addressed that funny rattle at the front of the engine. I was 19....timing chain shot out the side of the engine later. Took out the intermediate shaft as well, that thing had to be an inch or two in diameter. Brutal. Pic is not mine but close.

Attachments

• Celica_02.jpgbig.jpg2.jpg
    Celica_02.jpgbig.jpg2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 15
What a cool truck. 22re in a 5spd 4Runner…. I agree with the gearing…. that was probably a good move. I’m pretty sure we were putting 10-40 in our 22re back then. It *really* didn’t seem to care (ours was a 77).

seafoam, half a can, 500 miles is great. And then put 1/4 can in the fresh oil and drive normally. Go to 10-40 if you want and use a scoche more. I would indeed pull the valve cover off and look for and clean up anything you see in there; it may give a better sense of what’s going on. Ours was easy to pull and the o-ring type gasket was easy to deal with.

I picked up a ‘95 4Runner with the 22RE and 5 speed manual maybe 8 months ago. I ran it for a little bit on the oil the guy had in it but then did a change to Supertech FS 5W-30 High Mileage and a Fram Ultra XG8A after a couple months.

There does seem to be some oil consumption issues as i have had to top it off every few hundred miles. It seems to have slowed down a little since starting to run the supertech but still seems to need a little bit here and there. I don't see any external leaks.

I’ve also noticed the new oil turned pretty dark very quickly. Darker than my F150 ecoboost oil after 5k miles 😂 Would this suggest there maybe was some buildup or sludge that the Supertech is breaking up? Would it be worth running SeaFoam or something it the oil for a few hundred miles and do a change? The only other engine ive seen turn oil this dark this fast was my Jeep Liberty CRD but that was due to soot.

Any recommendations on oil? Should i maybe move to a 0W-40 or 5W-40 Rotella T6 or something?

View attachment 44399
Love the sno-go! Outside of what I figure is a pine tree or three on the right side picture, that could have been taken in the Anchorage or southcentral Alaska area. The tall thin black spruce-looking tree in the background and just to the left of the truck could be in my backyard, along with what appear to be cottonwood and Alaska willows on the left. But, I know better. ;)

Take care of the Yota and keep snow-wheelin. I used to do that in the 90's when I could break out my folding pack-shovel and dig out my high-centered SUV. Now in my 50's, it would be too much of a chore! :cool:

Last edited:
Back