91 Civic 3dr Hatch SEAT BELTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 1991 3dr Hatchback Si and drove my car in to my local Honda dealership to check out my front seat belts. For many years I have noticed that when pulling or tugging on the seat belts they just would NOT lock. I would brake hard and would pull at the same time and they just would not lock like my other cars do. I recently became worried because of recent stories about people flying thru windshields due to not wearing seat belts. I have a family and want to be responsible in every way so I decided to get the front sat belts checked out. The Honda service rep was nice and professional and took notes down, sat in the passenger side of my car and told me to drive thru the parking lot. He then told me to leave the car and he would have the belts checked out first thing next morning. He printed a receipt that indicated a zero charge for the check. He then called me the next morning and told me that they had ordered both front seat belts and that the car should be ready by the next day. He then called me the very next day and told me that my car was ready to go and to come pick it up. I got a ride to the dealer and my car was waiting for me outside. They handed me a second receipt with a ZERO charge. I drove home and as I drove on the freeway I pulled fast and hard on the seta belt and it did NOT lock. I continued to pull and tug fast and quick and only managed to lock once. I called Honda the next morning and they told me that they ordered the entire mechanism and that it could be that the locking is dependent on movement and braking. I am concerned that the belts just don't work and that maybe there is a fuse or electrical connection that is just not working. The rear seat belts do lock with a slight fast movement and I feel like the front seat belts should be responding the same way. I checked all of my other cars that include a 2002 Silverado, 1988 Mbenz 300sel, and a 1979 Mbenz 300sd and they all lock with the fast pull of the belt. I went on to the TAKATA website to try to find more info and I could not really find much info. What else might I be missing for these seat belts to lock the way they should or are seat belts only supposed to lock when in a collision. hate to find out the hard way. The belts installed appear brand new and actually retract(return to original position) a lot better than before..attached is a link to what I think was ordered..
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto...cgry5=SEAT+BELT

Hope someone here can assure me that I'm ok driving my car with only 467k original miles..yup you read it correctly, going on 468k and same engine..

Does this have the goofy door mounted seat belts? Some hondas actually did. On GMs with those belts there was a solenoid that forced them to not lock when the door opened (quickly) but the default behavior was normal working belts.

Seat belts come in two designs... whip the belt out of the retractor lockups and a little pendulum thing that senses sudden slowdowns. I suspect you have the latter.

They are the door mounted seat belts...And I've have applied the brakes last minute and no locking observed. Do i have to crash the car to find out they work or should I assume that the new mechanism works according to impact?

If they don't lock on a rough road(jarring) when you use the brakes hard, I would be worried about them not working at all.
The belts in my current vehicles lock on rough surfaces without braking sometimes.

Does the seatbelt reminder light illuminate on the instrument cluster? The belts are controlled by solenoids. The circuits require a thorough inspection by a qualified technician ASAP. The belts are designed to lock in the event of a sudden stop. HTH

I am thinking about taking it to a different Honda dealer to see what they can do. Where are those solenoids located and is the complete inspection covered by the warranty? If I remove the seat belt from the buckle the big light with the seat and seta belt does illuminate. Funny thing is that my accelerator cable broke today and had to get the car towed back home. It's almost like something is telling me to get the seat belts fixed before jumping on. Will call a different dealer tomorrow and post an update.

Seat belts finally repaired by Honda dealer. Short located at door hinge causing all kinds of electrical issues that included clicking and beeps and dash lights flashing. Not sure if the short really affected the locking on the seat belts but now they lock when you brake. If you tug hard it does not lock. Brake hard or suddenly and the belts will hold you back. 202.00 for electrical diagnostic charge for chasing wires, rewiring at door latch. Belts were replaced again, not sure why but probably just trying to get more money form honda Corp. Honda dealer did install new buckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back