8GB RAM INSTALLED, only 4 GB useable? Any fix?

Bought a used desktop yesterday, cpu is AMD Ryzen 3.5 GHz, motherboard is Asrock (according to the initial welcome splash screen after it boots). Not 100% sure as vendor could have rigged it that way, though. Only mobo markings say CF-AF3-EV18 but google says that is the BIOS. There is a small decal on the mobo, says CA68HM-K. Googling that says it is an Asus but web pics of that model are different from the actual mobo installed in the case. Anyway, It runs Win10 Enterprise. Problem is it has 8gb RAM but Windows system info says only 4gb is useable. I am not sure if that is a BIOS limitation, but anyone know of a fix? The unit is only 2 or 3 years old.

I wouldn't think you have a 32 bit OS installed, but double check it. Other than that, it is likely a Bios setting or update you need.

If it is a 32 bit OS, there's nothing you can do except install the 64 bit version. 32 bit Windows only recognizes 4gb of ram.

8G RAM in correct spec'd packages and slots? (chip speeds and size sometimes matter)

If onboard video, check to see if 4GB isn't allocated to the video "card" in the BIOS.
That was my first thought, too; but **4GB** internally for on-board video?!

Second thought: Does the motherboard accept > 4GB?

Third thought: Are the sticks seated properly? Maybe removing the sticks, blowing some compressed air in the slots and re-inserting will magically fix everything.

That was my first thought, too; but **4GB** internally for on-board video?!

Second thought: Does the motherboard accept > 4GB?

Third thought: Are the sticks seated properly? Maybe removing the sticks, blowing some compressed air in the slots and re-inserting will magically fix everything.

If the motherboard didn't accept >4GB I'd expect it to not show 8GB installed, 4GB available in Windows. Same with the sticks not being seated properly. I know one some of my older i3 and i5 rigs, when they have 6GB installed for example, they'll say 5.83 available because the there is some statically assigned to the onboard video. I agree, 4GB sounds like a LOT, but perhaps it's an allowed provision in the BIOS? 🤷‍♂️ Definitely worth checking.

I recently went through the same problem with my then new built Desktop. After trying all possible software “fixes” - and replacing the memory - I decided to check the CPU and there were two bent pins in the socket. Carefully straighten them with a blade and all the 32GB are usable now. Been using it for months without issues.

If the motherboard didn't accept >4GB I'd expect it to not show 8GB installed, 4GB available in Windows.

When I read OP's:

berniedd said:
Problem is it has 8gb RAM but Windows system info says only 4gb is useable.
... I was unsure if there was some Win10 reporting that it did, indeed, "see" 8GB but only 4GB were useable, or if OP just knows there are 8GB in the mobo and Win10 could perhaps only "see" 4GB period.

Pull out one stick and see if it boots. If it does, trade the sticks and see if it boots. If it does, it's something to do with the motherboard or configuration. If it doesn't, it's a bad stick of ram.

When I read OP's:

... I was unsure if there was some Win10 reporting that it did, indeed, "see" 8GB but only 4GB were useable, or if OP just knows there are 8GB in the mobo and Win10 could perhaps only "see" 4GB period.

I was thinking about the language windows uses when RAM is reserved, as it specifically spells out usable, which he referenced in the OP, that's why I took it the way I did :)

Some motherboards are funky when it comes to RAM. Are all the sticks identical - same brand/speed/timing/density? If you have integrated graphics, check the max VRAM or RAM aperture in the BIOS.

Sounds like you didn't seat your memory well. If you have 32 bit OS it won't even let you use all 4GB, some address space will be used for system stuff and you will be lucky to get 2.something GB instead of exactly 4GB.

Are the 2 sticks matching? Have you tried pulling one out at a time and see if it changes? Try different slot?

Removed, exchanged and reseated both RAM sticks, problem still persists. Correctly matched speed ratings. RAM sharing for the integrated video is set correctly by the BIOS default.

I did some googling and all I can find is this motherboard... which would make it not Ryzen nor Asrock.

Removed, exchanged and reseated both RAM sticks, problem still persists. Correctly matched speed ratings. RAM sharing for the integrated video is set correctly by the BIOS default.

Is Windows reporting the 8GB, 4GB usable per my earlier query? Clarification on that would help I think.

Also sounds like somebody has changed the boot screen logo (easy enough to do) to show ASROCK if the motherboard is in fact the COLORFUL Chinese board linked by Skippy.

System info says 8 GB installed memory, 4 GB useable.

OK, that's good, so it at least is reporting the correct installed capacity. There's a memory remap feature in the BIOS that I think has to be enabled, but I can't recall the exact verbiage as to the option and I think it varies manufacturer to manufacturer anyways, may want to go hunting for it.

Back