'88 7.3 idi resurrection

She's already dancing up a storm old son! Purring like a kitten and just a little fresh gearbox and diff oil away from hitting the highway. Not gonna wash it yet. I'm enjoying the whole big ugly truck thing right now.
Congrats on the find!

Back in the 90's, I had an '87 F-250 Lariat with the International 6.9L and a 4.10 diff. The old girl would pull stumps. Miss her.

If it’s a ZF manual strongly recommend Redline MTL 75W80 GL4 instead of Ford recommended ATF. Vastly improved shifting quality (synchro effectiveness) even down to —25C. But if it gets really cold (looks like you are 54-61 N but colder than me because I see saltwater out my window) maybe try their newer MT-LV 70W75.

If it’s a ZF manual strongly recommend Redline MTL 75W80 GL4 instead of Ford recommended ATF. Vastly improved shifting quality (synchro effectiveness) even down to —25C. But if it gets really cold (looks like you are 54-61 N but colder than me because I see saltwater out my window) maybe try their newer MT-LV 70W75.
Redline D4 has worked pretty well in mine, I actually threw in the towel on the parking brake unit & started using 140 weight gear oil, even the D4 was burning off in it (too much load from the 3.73 rear axle & ~14K weight).

I do have 10,000 pounds on you, & a pretty big wind resistance difference too-an unloaded F-250 would be a lot easier to move!
Tank.jpg

Redline D4 has worked pretty well in mine, I actually threw in the towel on the parking brake unit & started using 140 weight gear oil, even the D4 was burning off in it (too much load from the 3.73 rear axle & ~14K weight).

I really like JD Hygard in the ZF too. I use low viscosity Hygard in the M5OD in my Ranger too. Never shifted so smooth until I went to that.

What do you guys reckon about running extended life diesel antifreeze with napa cool? (What I done did yesterday) I also have zero problem changing it out bi-anually. Not really all that keen to be adding filters etc, but if I must... I've seen it posted elsewhere that what I've done, plus changing it out every two three years - and testing the ph - gets around any possible issues. Is that just hot air?
ELC will not need any additives except an extender at 600k ish miles. Your green cool will need to be tested and the Napa-cool added as needed. Same with a pre-charged coolant such as Fleetcharge(pink liquid/gray bottle). Finalcharge (red liquid/black bottle) is ELC.

Great info guys cheers. I've been considering the hy-gard and have a pail of it on hand, also NH 134D, but am leaning towards the Hy-gard. Had plenty of good fortune using it in myriad tractors over the years. But we do frequently dip below -40 in these parts... I shall review these fluids most carefully.

ELC will not need any additives except an extender at 600k ish miles. Your green cool will need to be tested and the Napa-cool added as needed. Same with a pre-charged coolant such as Fleetcharge(pink liquid/gray bottle). Finalcharge (red liquid/black bottle) is ELC.
This is what went in. It's day-glow orange, 70/30:
20201001_021555.jpg

And the best thing so far is none, repeat none of the seals are leaking, anywhere. The rocker covers leak, and I expect the synthetic will cause more over time, but it's amazing the axle/gearbox/transfer case seals are still pliant. Even the brakes don't leak. Brake fluid was swapped out day one.

It's a ZF. Unsure of transfer case and it's a 3.55 limited slip diff. C9 code on the sticker. Dana fore and aft methinks.

Thanks for this. Up here on the barren, frozen wastelands a big 5 speed likely behaves like a whirling box of loose nails in winter, unless one cheats a bit.

Thanks for this. Up here on the barren, frozen wastelands a big 5 speed likely behaves like a whirling box of loose nails in winter, unless one cheats a bit.

What works for my ZF5 on cold mornings is to let it idle in 3rd gear with the transfer case in neutral. Usually 5 minutes of running in gear and it works pretty well.

It's a ZF. Unsure of transfer case and it's a 3.55 limited slip diff. C9 code on the sticker. Dana fore and aft methinks.

Nice truck!
It's a Sterling rear axle. I looked up your code.
C9 3.55 6250 FORD LIMITED SLIP 1987

Enjoy it. I'd love to find another idi diesel. I had an '83 Chevy 8' stake with a 6.2L. Awful acceleration, but a lot of character and was slow empty or full of oak, maple and ash.

As mentioned use only Motorcraft Glow plugs and Thermostat. The wire harness plug between the engine and fender burns up. Cut and splice there. 15w40 and use the Powerstroke oil filter(Motorcraft FL1995) as it is larger AND more efficient. The IDI oil filter is a 32 micron and the PS one is 20. Any leaks at the fuel return lines will cause it to run rough and die.

I'll 2nd Redline MTL 75W80 GL4!! It changed the whole feel of my ZF5.

Back