84 Camry dlx model hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.
84 Camry dlx model hatchback
Hello to all on the forums 1st off......
I need some help here on my 1st generation 84 Camry hatchback deluxe model automatic transmission.
THE PROBLEM(S)
To be clear on the problem I am having is this: My transmission is shifting hard and rough intermittently and sometimes when going between the speeds of 40-55 mph I will feel a shake and cluttering from the transmission or the axle going into the transmission. Note the car does not do this all the time just sometimes. The car just started doing this so I am sure it will get worse. Also to be noted the car shifts rough when coming to a stop so that would be downshifting from 2nd to 1st at about 15 mph. Also when I took a long road trip some of the transmission fluid would spill out I am guessing it was coming from where the axle meet/goes into the transmission. When this happened (happened more then 3 times) I would have to check and add transmission fluid to the car to get it back up to the full level.
WHAT I ALREADY DID TO TRY AND FIX
I have already taken it to 3 different mechanics and they all said to drive the car until It breaks and then junk it. That REALLY [censored] ME OFF AS I LIKE THIS CAR VERY MUCH AND WANT TO FIX IT. The 1st mechanic sucked 2 quarts out of the transmission dipstick and then added Lucas stop slip and told me to drive the f........... car and see if it helped. It seemed to help at 1st then the hard shifting was back in no time at all. I did check the transmission level and it is at full when the car is hot. One of the other mechanics knows the issue(s) on this car and was telling me to check the transaxle fluid behind the transmission pan. I went behind there and there is 2 plugs 1 filler plug to train (I am guessing gear oil?) and the other plug is a drain check plug. So I looked up the fluid type in my owners manual for the filler plug behind the transmission pan and it says to put in the same type of fluid as in the transmission is this correct?
QUESTIONS AND HELP NEEDED
So my 1st question is why would I put the same fluid type (dextron2) in the transaxle filler plug? I would think I different kind of fluid like (gear oil) would go in there as it is a completely separate compartment then the transmission dip stick and transmission pan and filter? What is the correct type of fluid to use in this separate compartment?
Being on these big forums there must be several people who know about this problem and might even be having the same problems. Please let me know what is causing this and what I can do to fix this. I really would appreciate any/all help from you as I know the forums are a great way to share and help each other with information so thanks to all who help in advance.
Dave

They both use Dexron, do a drain and fill a few times and see if that helps the old girl, and driving the &@%! Out of it isn't going to help it.

When was the last time the tranny fluid was fully changed on the car?

If possible, I would drain all fluid and remove the tranny pan, if there is a removable pan. Clean the pan and change the filter/strainer if it has one. Then add fresh fluid. You can probably use Valvoline Max Life ATF. I use that on my 98 Sienna and it shifts like a charm.

Last edited:
My 2001 Camry also has a separate fill for the differential, never been changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hardyrxp
I LIKE THIS CAR VERY MUCH AND WANT TO FIX IT.

Dave,

Change the fluid & filter.
Three gallons of MaxLife ATF will take care of both the differential and transmission. FT1137 is Fram part number.
Also, pick up some Lubeguard Red and add the appropriate amount to the ATF fluid.
Good luck.

I assume you are checking fluid level correctly, running warm in park, or however the manual says to.

Also, how have you decided it's the axle going in? I guess if you had a cv joint that was coming apart, that could cause some dramatic vibrations.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
My 2001 Camry also has a separate fill for the differential, never been changed.
That's true of all Gen 4 four cylinders. The six can be filled through the transmission filler but has it's own drain. Id you plan to drain ans fill your 4, make sure you can get the fill plug off before draining.
smile.gif

Last edited:
As other have said, same ATF in transmission and diff. Change the filter and do a total fluid exchange in the transmission, you can do this yourself. MAXLIFE should be a fine ATF. See how it runs after a hundred or two hundred miles. Hopefully it will be better.

How many miles on vehicle and how rusty is the body & frame?

Forget Lucas anything.

If a proper fluid replacement does not help, the transmission could be on its way out. You can then get a second opinion from a trusted indy transmission shop. If indeed the transmission is shot, then it may be time for the boneyard.

Some years of Camrys have a software update but I do not know what years. You might want to check with a dealer to see if your year of Camry has a software update, and if so does your Camry already have it done?

Dave, I understand wanting to keep an older car on the road. I have a 1985 Olds Delta 88 that I would missed if it had to go to the bone yard.

Your vehicle sounds like it is time for a good used transmission from some salvage yard, if the cost of a rebuilt is too high. Look for the largest salvage yard near you and give them a call to see if they have a trany for your car. Here in Pennsylvania the largest salvage yard is Stoystown auto wreckers in Stoystown Pennsylvania. Their salvage yard of vehicles is soooooo huge it has to be seen to be believed. Their web site has an aerial photo, it is pretty darn big. Anyhow, they will ship parts out via UPS, but I do not know if they would ship a trnay, or how much shipping one would cost.

More than likely you are not going to fix a bad trnay by throwing good fluids and a filter at it. Your vehicle is 31 years old and parts such as the trany do eventually wear out.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Some years of Camrys have a software update but I do not know what years. You might want to check with a dealer to see if your year of Camry has a software update, and if so does your Camry already have it done?

Dave, I understand wanting to keep an older car on the road. I have a 1985 Olds Delta 88 that I would missed if it had to go to the bone yard.

Your vehicle sounds like it is time for a good used transmission from some salvage yard, if the cost of a rebuilt is too high. Look for the largest salvage yard near you and give them a call to see if they have a trany for your car. Here in Pennsylvania the largest salvage yard is Stoystown auto wreckers in Stoystown Pennsylvania. Their salvage yard of vehicles is soooooo huge it has to be seen to be believed. Their web site has an aerial photo, it is pretty darn big. Anyhow, they will ship parts out via UPS, but I do not know if they would ship a trnay, or how much shipping one would cost.

More than likely you are not going to fix a bad trnay by throwing good fluids and a filter at it. Your vehicle is 31 years old and parts such as the trany do eventually wear out.

If you can install a salvage transmission yourself that might be a good idea. If you have to pay a shop, then maybe not so goo.

Trannies typically get strapped to a pallet and dumped at the downtown freight depot.

You can go get it and wrestle it yourself, of pay for a liftgate charge to have it dropped at your house.

The car has 97k original miles on it. I drive it everywhere so city and highway. Last transmission flush was 70k.
I bought the car from 1 owner original miles on it at 60k.
So you can see why I want to keep and fix the car.
Little to no rust just a little in the back of the car near wheel well expected at that area.

My ?'s to you guys are as follows:
If the car is jerking/shifting hard-rough from 2nd to 1st and spitting out some of the tranny fluid some how then why/how could changing the fluid help?
I mean if its going bad then it will fail soon with old or brand new fluid correct?
If so f............. it what's the f........... point I will drive it till it drops.
We already sucked out and changed part of the fluid to add the lucas 2 quarts in there.
The mechanic said leave the fluid in there b/c it looks so clean/new.

Originally Posted By: hardyrxp
Where is this downtown freight depot located?
City and address please?

If you can't find your yellow pages i have doubts about your ability to change a FWD transaxle.

Hello there thanks for info 1st off.
2ndly where can I locate on my car or owners manual what kind of trans I have e.g. Camry with A140E tranny is ?
Also if I find another tranny @ junk yard can it work with mine if its from 83-86 auto 2.0 liter?
Did they make more then one transmission from 83-86 for auto's like mine?
How can I find this info out?

car-part.com has a huge jy database.
fueleconomy.gov shows every tranny/ engine combo that was ever certified, so if there was a 3 speed and a 4 speed option you'd see them both.
the abovementioned toyotanation specific forum woul dhelp too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back