81 honda w/Webber carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive recently started driving my 81 honda on a daily basis. It has a webber 32/36 carb and a frame mounted gravity fed fuel pump. Ive noticed that it will idle for hours no problem but after about 10 minutes of driving the fuel bowl will run dry and it stalls. Ive noticed that the fuel line from the tank to the pump has a couple of loops in it but I dont think that should affect the flow. ALso, the pump looks like it has a little bit of dried up fuel around it but that could be from small leaks over time. I cant find any current fuel leaks. Should I replace the pump first or rebuild the carb first? I think its the pump but a buddy of mine is a reputable master tech and says it needs new floats and a rebuild but hasnt actually spent any time with the car. any ideas?

I like the pump idea. Can you just get a universal electric one and try that for diagnosis?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I like the pump idea. Can you just get a universal electric one and try that for diagnosis?

Yes. I found a pump that is NON-gravity fed for $45. I just hate throwing parts at it blindly.

Weber on a CVCC? Upgraded a former '76 Accord similarly.

Can you temporarily rig up a fuel pressure gauge to ascertain sufficient supply when it's running dry?
Just a thought would be to verify (modified?) evaporative canister/tank venting too.

Upside is the 32/36 is easy enough to go through. Still have jets and emulsion tubes in my spares bins.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: splinter
Weber on a CVCC? Upgraded a former '76 Accord similarly.

Can you temporarily rig up a fuel pressure gauge to ascertain sufficient supply when it's running dry?
Just a thought would be to verify (modified?) evaporative canister/tank venting too.

Upside is the 32/36 is easy enough to go through. Still have jets and emulsion tubes in my spares bins.
smile.gif

I can except the car is sitting in a parking lot 20 miles from my house. The tank was building up pressure so I replaced the cap with a venting/locking cap. No more pressure but didnt change a thing.

I cant think of why it would idle perfectly all day long but run outta fuel when im moving. I feel like the pump doesnt have enough strength to keep up with the bowl or the gravity feed quits working as im moving forward forcing the gas to the rear of the tank and away from the pump.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I cant think of why it would idle perfectly all day long but run outta fuel when im moving. I feel like the pump doesnt have enough strength to keep up with the bowl or the gravity feed quits working as im moving forward forcing the gas to the rear of the tank and away from the pump.

Because when you're moving the carb needs more fuel and its not getting it. Maybe the pump is just failing. For $45, I'd try the electric fuel pump, and if I thought it was the pump (and it sounds like it may be), I wouldn't call it throwing money at a problem. I'd definitely do that before tearing into the carb.

I had an '81 Accord with the 32/36 DGEV, along with a non-CVCC head with 2mm bigger valves, exhaust header, stage 2 cam, re-curved distributor, 2" exhaust pipe, hollow cat converter.
I added a second snorkel to the air filter housing with a flap to retain the temp controlled intake air.
I leaned out the primary bore a little (smaller main jet) and enriched the secondary to compensate for better cruising MPGs.
Downside was it had so much torque I was replacing trans bearings every couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back