75w90 or 80w90 in a ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not a small difference. A 75W-90 is a true multigrade. I've tried the switch in my 4Runner and switched back to 75W-90. Your tipical 80W-90 has a VI of around 100. Your tipical 75W-90 has a VI over 150. Check the specs. Graph them on my site if you want to see the effect.

I would try using 77.5w90 just to be fair...
laugh.gif

You'll see a difference between 75W-90 and 80W-90 more clearly in Michigan than you will in Kansas. Um, if you were going to use Amsoil 80W-90, why not Amsoil 75W-90 like bmwtechguy suggests?
confused.gif

No way would 75W-90 mess anything up. I know guys with Super Duty F-350 4x4's running 75W-90 synthetic in the big duallys, front and rear for years. If its works in them, it will work in the Ranger.

The name of the game is fuel economy and 75W-90 is geared for that.

Before someone jumps in and says the SDF 350 should use 75W-140, they know that but up here where is below freezing for 6 months, you loss mpg with the 140, so many will use the synthetic 75W-90 Amsoil Severe Gear..

I'm going to run the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 in my Ford Escape 4wd, Amsoil has a 80w-90 but not in severe gear formula, so I think I'll take the 75w-90 with the fortified formula.

Funny thing about our owner's manual is states that in severe cold weather with extended periods below -30 we can use 75w-140 , I think their reasoning is because the Ford 75w-140 is a full synthetic fluid and their 80w-90 is not.

One thing in our owner's manual

I run 75w140 in almost all of my diffs, with a few exceptions. I have an 01 and an 06 Ranger 4x4's, and also maintain several others. I've got 75w140 in all of them, differing brands. I've seen no change in MPG running in temps ranging from -10*F to 108*F. With gearsets thicker is better as far as longevity is concerned.

Are there any real world case of Ranger rear set wearing out? I thought Rangers were bulletproof many years ok and the only explanation for their continued success as a 90s designed minipickup.

Well, many Rangers (but not all) used the 8.8 center section which is just about as bullet proof as you are going to get in a truck that size. The 7.5's were not as strong and I have seen them fail. The Ranger is still a good truck, IMO. We run many of them in fleet service and have good luck with them. I've owned several, my daily driver is an 01.

Shock loading and heat are two of the biggest enemies of a gearset. The higher viscosity gear oils will help protect against shock loads, and as a result the gearset will run cooler. At any rate, likely you not see a failure either way with 80w90,75w90,75w140, etc. Other than abuse or a mfg flaw it'd be pretty tough to hurt those diffs.

Well said 1040 WreckerMan. I'd drop the M1 75w-90 in it and forget about it. Think of how many people never change their differential fluids and never have an issue. Use the synthetic and change it every 60k.

Quote:

I'm what fluid would be best for my 05 ranger it calls 80w90

I'm surprised that Ford would specify an 80W-90 for this application. My 00 Explorer with the 8.8 diff (similar to the Ranger), specs 75W-140 synthetic for the rear diff. The owners manual specifically states to only use this weight, and only synthetic.....

I used to have a 04 with an 8.8" pumpkin with a locker installed. I was running 75w-140 (both M1 and SF (Mola stuff). I did like the SF better, but both worked fine.

I don't see this causing any problems at all. The 8.8" with the Torsen calls for 75w-140, all the others for 80w-90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back