75 Ford industrial 1.6 locked up while cranking over

In buying a bobcat from a guy with intentions of replacing or rebuilding the motor in it.

He told me the motor locked up while he was trying to restart it after it ran out of fuel. He claims someone syphoned the tank the night before, so he kept cranking it and cranking it, battery got low and it stopped, he thought he killed the starter. New starter, motor was locked up. He looked in the tank and realized there was no fuel in it....
He's disabled and can't do a whole lot so he gave up on it and here we are. I'll be going up next week to get it, just curious if anyone with pinto experience would know what may have happened, I assume it hydro locked but idk until the motor comes out.

From what I've researched, it's a UK Kent type motor, very similar to a 70 ish for pinto 1.6 or cortina.

I'm hopeful maybe it can be saved if it seized at 60 rpm and not while operating.

Any input is greatly appreciated

The bobcat did start after the tank was syphoned, it ran for a moment, then randomly died, which is where the excessive cranking came from since the tank was last known to be full.

Hmm...might the STARTER have seized?

Just to be clear: this is a GAS-powered skid-steer and not diesel, right?

Hmm...might the STARTER have seized?

Just to be clear: this is a GAS-powered skid-steer and not diesel, right?
Yes, he claims to have replaced it and got the same result. Also claims to have taken a breaker bar to the crank and realized it was seized

To begin, pull the plugs and turn it over. No liquid no hydro lock. Then try turning the engine backward a little with the pry bar on the flywheel and listen for unusual sounds like a snap or clunck. Either way the situation is not good.

The way I'm looking at this, as long as something mechanical like a rod or something steel didn't break, I'm thrilled. I don't mind fixing a head gasket, or tearing down an engine. I just don't want to spend $ machining or replacing parts on this motor. I've already decided to replace the motor " if need be " with a predator 670.

Back