7-eleven diesel fuel sourced on west coast?

4/23/2024 update.

I can’t find ULSD anywhere at all of my reliable stations that always had it. Every station I went to was selling a biomass diesel blend, some were labeled at the pump and others were labeled as ULSD. I did find real ULSD at a low volume station near Santa Cruz however I suspect it’s older fuel.

You can identify renewable diesel by the lack of foam and it is crystal clear. RD also has a different smell than ULSD.

My fuel economy has dropped 2 MPGs and low end torque is lower with more downshifting. I hate this crappy green fuel it sucks and the phony hype about how great it is. If it burns cleaner, but you use 10% more fuel to do the same amount of work, how is that an improvement? It’s a carb.gov greenwashing scam.

4/23/2024 update.

I can’t find ULSD anywhere at all of my reliable stations that always had it. Every station I went to was selling a biomass diesel blend, some were labeled at the pump and others were labeled as ULSD. I did find real ULSD at a low volume station near Santa Cruz however I suspect it’s older fuel.

You can identify renewable diesel by the lack of foam and it is crystal clear. RD also has a different smell than ULSD.

My fuel economy has dropped 2 MPGs and low end torque is lower with more downshifting. I hate this crappy green fuel it sucks and the phony hype about how great it is. If it burns cleaner, but you use 10% more fuel to do the same amount of work, how is that an improvement? It’s a carb.gov greenwashing scam.
What's in the renewable diesel? When I've run biodiesel the only difference i notice is less injection noise. This white non foam stuff sounds like gasoline

What's in the renewable diesel? When I've run biodiesel the only difference i notice is less injection noise. This white non foam stuff sounds like gasoline
Google renewable diesel AKA Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil. It’s clear, doesn’t foam and smells like wax

It’s not gasoline.

Canola oil is approved as a feedstock for renewable diesel. Canola production in the Canadian western provinces is large and the pipeline infrastructure to the USA exists should it become a large exported product.

View attachment 194873
You heard it here first. Renewable diesel can be exported from Alberta where huge volumes of Canola are grown, on the TMX pipeline to Vancouver where it can be loaded on tankers and shipped to California.

California Diesel Update 6/2024

I found some petro diesel in agriculture areas off of major highways this month while on a trip. I knew I found the Golden Fleece when pulling up to the pump and was greeted by that long lost familiar smell at the island. Hallelujah!

I use diesel fuel additive in my diesels. Mostly for peace of mind but more importantly as insurance for low or lack of lubricity if there is a mix up by whoever adds the additive package after the refinery sends it down the pipeline. The cetane improvers, antigel, biocide are an added bonus. I usually use PS but sometimes use other brands, usually Howes. I have noticed from time to time a little more noise or a little lower economy on individual tanks of fuel. I have no idea what the cetane or renewable content is. IIRC, some small amount of biodiesel is allowed without labeling per US law. I will have to research that.

Just looked it up.
Up to 5% biodiediesel can be used without pump labeling.

Last edited:
Our fuels in the UK can have up to 7% biodiesel content.

HVO (or Renewable Diesel) is available and my Duster loves the stuff! It starts quicker from cold, is a little more responsive and seems to get better fuel economy.

Unfortunately the local station that sells it is 8 miles away and its an extra 30p/litre. I only fill up with it if I'm passing and I'm below half a tank.

Back