7.62X39 for Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the question ask.

Possible shot, Maximum range maybe 100 - 125 yards, open sigths. What's the possibilities of this gun with atleast a well placed shot.

Secondly: The local Cabela's advertised a telescopic sight for the SKS, I was under the impression that because of the way the SKS was designed it was impractical to equip with a scope. I haven't been to Cabela's to look at it or talk to anyone in the gun dept, I figured I would ask here before I walked in and embarassed myself. The reason why I am asking is I have recently been equiped with a pair of bifocal glasses, sighting over iron sights is a hoot. Truthfully I can now say-- it is possible to miss the side of a barn-- unless you are standing in the barn.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
Just like the question ask.

Truthfully I can now say-- it is possible to miss the side of a barn-- unless you are standing in the barn.

I'd probably hit the roof!

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
In a properly sighted SKS thats a practical hunting rifle. People underestimate the potential of that rifle.

That's what I was wanting to confirm. Lots of the rednecks around here brag about what they done killed with a SKS or 30-30 or 22mag or 17 hrm or well you get the picture. I needed practical real world opinion.
Currently I am shooting military surplus ammo 123 grain fmj hp. Over iron sights I can consistantly hit a 5" circle at 75 yards. That's about as good as it gets for me. At 100 yards I suffer from eyesight/bifocal glasses problems that cause drastic accuracy problems. That's why I asked about the telescopic sight for a SKS and if it was practicle.

I wouldn't shoot one at 200 yards. 7.62x39 has the same ballistics as a 30-30, so do a search for hunting with a 30-30 for more info.

Also, that surplus JHP stuff doesn't reliably expand/tumble.

A lot of those are a HP design with a bit of lead and then a mild steel core (Cheaper to manufacture and procure for troops). They more or less deform after impact and it introduces yaw.

You will need quite a bit of velocity and proper placement for a hunting application (not a long range tack driver), but if you keep it within 100 yards it should work fine.

Your accuracy, 5" at 75 yards is good for a SKS, which is not known for accuracy, and shooting poor ammo to boot.

However, your groups at 100 yards or greater are going to dramatically fall off, and 5" at 75 yards is not acceptable for hunting.

Thankfully, most deer shots are taken at 60 yards or less.

I would go buy an actual hunting rifle.

It will do fine out to about 100 meters for hunting accuracy. 85% of shots on deer are at that range or less. Pass up the long shots and have fun.

The bullet has less sctional density than 30-30 projectiles as it is lighter. Compensate for that by shooting at closer range.

I own several SKS, my favorite one's being the Russian models. They are wonderful, historical and fun to shoot guns. They can be used for deer hunting, but to be humane to the animal I would not go past 100yds.

I have a scope on 2 of mine, they work well and even keep the iron sights functional. Go for it.

You can find affordable soft point and HP 7.62x39 ammo if you look around.

This is ammo that was originally imported back in the mid-90s but I've seen quite a bit of it floating around a gun shows lately and wonder if someone has imported a bunch. It's inexpensive and has a HP lead core bullet...

klimovsk1.jpg

100_2495.jpg

I might even have some of the lead soft point ammo that I could part with if you are interested, as I do not hunt.

The SKS can be relatively accurate(combat accurate). My unissued yugo with good ammo was capable of shooting relatively accurate out to 120 yards easy. There are just so many out there that are beat up, and some of the chinese ones have pinned barrels instead of threaded in ones and they are horrible on accuracy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
You can find affordable soft point and HP 7.62x39 ammo if you look around.

This is ammo that was originally imported back in the mid-90s but I've seen quite a bit of it floating around a gun shows lately and wonder if someone has imported a bunch. It's inexpensive and has a HP lead core bullet...

klimovsk1.jpg

100_2495.jpg

I might even have some of the lead soft point ammo that I could part with if you are interested, as I do not hunt.

My local cabelas has a small supply of soft point ammo that isn't to expensive. Maybe 12-13 $ a box. I think they were 122 grain soft point, brass ammom.My statement regarding fmj hp bullets was merely to explain what I was shooting with at the time.

I am in south la. I can't even see a hundred yards where I plan to hunt, so any shot will be relatively close.

Yeah in that terrain the SKS can be a decent brush gun. The ammo must be capable, even CZ makes a bolt rifle in it for hunting.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I wouldn't shoot one at 200 yards. 7.62x39 has the same ballistics as a 30-30, so do a search for hunting with a 30-30 for more info.

Yep, lots of deer been taken over the years with a 30-30. Not going to make the long range shots that a 30-06 can make, but in a lot of situations those long shots almost never present themselves (certainly in my neck of the woods they are rare, in the midwest and west, probably different).

You can use this on deer no problem. As most people on here have said, I wouldn't try it long range... Stick to
You can use a .300 WSM all day, but if you can't hit what your shooting at, you might as well be using a Daisy Red Ryder.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
I have definately wounded deer with the 7.62X39, never killed one though.

It's not a good deer killer.

No offense, but could it be the shooter?... I've shot deer with a shotgun and they've ran off.... But they are very good at kiling deer; they're a must have when running deer dogs.

Alot of people are quick to blame the gun/scope.

The ballistics as mentioned are almost identical to the 30-30 Winchester which has probably put more meat on the table than any other hunting gun. But like all hunting, its about shot placement and proper ammo selection. I have seen deer killed at 25 yards with a 40 S&W handgun.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

The ballistics as mentioned are almost identical to the 30-30 Winchester which has probably put more meat on the table than any other hunting gun. But like all hunting, its about shot placement and proper ammo selection. I have seen deer killed at 25 yards with a 40 S&W handgun.

+1.... Thank You

Originally Posted By: _Wes_

No offense, but could it be the shooter?... I've shot deer with a shotgun and they've ran off.... But they are very good at kiling deer; they're a must have when running deer dogs.

Alot of people are quick to blame the gun/scope.

the commie round was designed to kill at 1000m,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back