7.3 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
the truck in my sig 99 F250. As I stated before its had 2 owners over the past 19 years not including me, it was never driven hard always easy all the time. I drive it easy also, its bone stock besides a cat and muffler delete I had done to the stock exhaust, sounds pretty good. Last week after I had the exhaust done, I asked my dad to rev it up in park so I could hear the exhaust from the back. I kinda freaked out as he hit redline and it bounced off the rev limiter twice before I yelled for him to stop. I'm pretty certain the engine has never hit the rev limiter not once since its new. The engine sounds fine, drives fine, but could that have shortened the life of the engine or caused any damage? I know the 7.3s are pretty tough, its never been chipped and is stock besides the exhaust, but I just want to be sure.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It hit the governor. Nothing wrong. In fact diesels are designed to run at the max governed speed all day long.

Exactly... these same engines (as the 444 variant) are used in BIG trucks (think F750) like power line companies use, and also in 50-60 passenger school buses.

Up against the governor almost 100% of the time.

Funny story,.
laugh.gif

When I drive my wifes 2002 Power Stroke I usually run it up to redline. My wife drives it easy when towing her 3 horse trailer

He could have held it down for a couple minutes straight and it would have been fine.

There are guys who run nitrous and tuning to the 7.3 and they still take a little bit to break. Probably one of the most durable engines ever made. Heat from tuning and long periods of over revving seems to be what kills them. I doubt hitting red line would do anything to it even with the mileage you have.

I think you're fine. However, how did you have the cat removed? Did someone specifically charge for that or something? The 7.3s are non-catalyst motors (at least mine is).............no cats, AFAIK.

Edit: After quick Google search, apparently some 7.3s have cats. Now I know, lol. I still think your truck is fine.

Your dad probably just blew out some old soot that needed clearing out anyway. I've seen those engines go through straight hadies and keep right on going. That's why we have rev limiters/governors.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
It's a Ford....you'll be fine.
Actually it is an international / Navistar what ever they are presently called.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Ask the owners with DCT in the Fiestas how good those are......

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/ford-dual-clutch-transmission-lawsuit.shtml

Or the owners of the Ford designed and built 6.7 Powerstroke, which has a Bosch HPFP which can fail even when there is NO trace of water in the fuel system. Ford has a track record of still denying warranty claims to the tune of a 10k+ repair which owners are then stuck with.

At least GM warrantied those HPFP's when they failed on their Duramax. Of course GM went to a Denso HPFP on their newest redesign of the Duramax.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
There are guys who run nitrous and tuning to the 7.3 and they still take a little bit to break. Probably one of the most durable engines ever made. Heat from tuning and long periods of over revving seems to be what kills them. I doubt hitting red line would do anything to it even with the mileage you have.

Usually just the BBQ gas (propane).
If they are running nitrous its to cool things down.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Ask the owners with DCT in the Fiestas how good those are......

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/ford-dual-clutch-transmission-lawsuit.shtml

Or the owners of the Ford designed and built 6.7 Powerstroke, which has a Bosch HPFP which can fail even when there is NO trace of water in the fuel system. Ford has a track record of still denying warranty claims to the tune of a 10k+ repair which owners are then stuck with.

At least GM warrantied those HPFP's when they failed on their Duramax. Of course GM went to a Denso HPFP on their newest redesign of the Duramax.

You are absolutely correct! This is WELL DOCUMENTED.

Ford has a track record of still denying warranty claims

Ford is well known for denying warranty claims on all kinds of things. IMO they are the worst manufacturer when it comes to this.

The general consensus among guys with diesels in their boats is that it is best for long runs (sometimes over a period of days with the throttle at a constant rpm) to be at 200 rpm below max rated rpm.

30,000 or 40,000 hours from those diesels is not uncommon (with a rebuild or two smacked in between) Not sure where the governor is on trucks, whether it is at max rated rpm, or some other rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back