7,000Km......

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
On the M1 5w40 TDT in the Expedition and ZERO (discernible) consumption. Still a little above full on the dipstick.

With the 5w20, I was already down a litre at this point.

Not surprised. The thinner the oil is the easier it can pass by the rings, valve guides, etc.

Nice. I thought that Modular would have seized up by now, thanks to those tight "tolerances".
smirk2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Nice. I thought that Modular would have seized up by now, thanks to those tight "tolerances".
smirk2.gif

For those wondering, yeah, I put tolerances in quotation marks for a reason.
wink.gif

LMAO!

Yes, in fact now that the Mercon V fixed my PS pump noise, it's the quietest its ever been.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
On the M1 5w40 TDT in the Expedition and ZERO (discernible) consumption. Still a little above full on the dipstick.

I can't wait to try my TDT... But I still have 11K KM to go on this Amsoil.
smirk2.gif

09.gif
Stupid Amsoil long OCI's.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

smirk2.gif

09.gif
LOL.gif

I've only got 5K to go left on this, which will be done within the month most likely.

Sounds like you made a good choice!

If you could analyze it, it would be REALLY interesting to see if the slightly higher amount of fuel you used in the 7,000km running the 5W-40 is LESS than the $8-9 cost of the litre of 5W-20 you would have had to add.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

smirk2.gif

09.gif
LOL.gif

I've only got 5K to go left on this, which will be done within the month most likely.

Since they recently changed my region of restaurants at work my average monthly mileage has been cut from 5K/Mo to about 3.7K/Mo so it will take me a couple months before I can switch to TDT unless I dump it early...
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Was there any sluggishness when you first started using the 5W-40?

None.

Engine feels just as strong and revs just as hard with the 5w40 in there as it did with the 5w20.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You must travel a lot. How far do you live from work?

I do on-site service. And I drive a LOT.

My furthest client is ~50Km away.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Overkill,

Ever thought about doing a UOA on one of your fills?

I've got a UOA ready to go from the 0w40 in my Townie, just keep forgetting to mail it.

I expect some fuel in that sample, it was a winter run and the car is cammed.

Engine feels just as strong and revs just as hard with the 5w40 in there as it did with the 5w20.

Didn't you say the engine felt a bit stronger on the TDT?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Didn't you say the engine felt a bit stronger on the TDT?

I may have at some point. That was 5,000Km ago now though
wink.gif

And I may get shot for saying it is quieter, but it is.

One more question: Do you buy your TDT from WM in the 5-litre jugs, or are you getting it from a distibutor? They never have that grade on sale; so do you pay full retail, or do you have a 'source'?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
One more question: Do you buy your TDT from WM in the 5-litre jugs, or are you getting it from a distibutor? They never have that grade on sale; so do you pay full retail, or do you have a 'source'?

Walmart in the 5L jugs. Our store still stocks the CI-4+ stuff, haven't seen the CJ-4 yet.

$42 bucks for the jug I think it was the last time I bought it.

Yeah, the stuff in our stores is CI-4/SL as well. $41.77/5 litres isn't bad at all for such a robust oil!

You stock up, or just buy as you need? Because you know, if you aren't stashing massive amounts of sale oil, you aren't a real BITOG'er! (BTW, I don't have a stash of oil myself. No point with one small car in a condo!)

:p

Stash?!? Did someone say stash?

pp.sized.jpg

I like to show off my stash every chance I get
grin2.gif

Kidding aside, I've often thought of RTS, TDT, or another quality 5w40 for my Forester. Maybe save all that pretty 5w30 PP for winter and start inserting RTS during summer... hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back