'67 GTO 400 engine

The early Goats changed the game; thanks to John DeLorean. The '67 was the 1st year for the Q-Jet while '64 thru '66 used the Carter AFB or Tri-Power Rochester 3-2 carbs. It don't get much better. Or prettier, for that matter. Pontiac Metallic Blue for the win!
67 GTO 400 engine.jpg

I remember those-point ignition, distributor in the back (my ‘67 Firebird 326). Not fun… Needs one of these-

I'm partial to that color, too. My first car was a '70 Grand Prix. Two tons and tire smoke halfway through second gear.

I wonder what the hose-tee contraption on the intake is. I'm used to seeing one hose from the manifold to the PCV, and a separate one from the back of the carb to the brake booster.

The early Goats changed the game; thanks to John DeLorean. The '67 was the 1st year for the Q-Jet while '64 thru '66 used the Carter AFB or Tri-Power Rochester 3-2 carbs. It don't get much better. Or prettier, for that matter. Pontiac Metallic Blue for the win!
View attachment 208161

Where in the Wide Wide, World of sports did you find this beautiful thing Jeff???

It's a torque monster! 😀

Where in the Wide Wide, World of sports did you find this beautiful thing Jeff???

It's a torque monster! 😀
I had a '66 Goat. Much later I got a beautiful silver on black '73 Fire Chicken with a bad 350; I swapped in a '69 400 engine and Turbo 400. This was a project when I got sober; had to take up my time. What a great car.
I started making $$ and got into Corvettes, but those Pontiacs stole my heart. I don't think I have another build in me; but I can dream. Ha!

partial to that color, too. My first car was a '70 Grand Prix. Two tons and tire smoke halfway through second gear.

I wonder what the hose-tee contraption on the intake is. I'm used to seeing one hose from the manifold to the PCV, and a separate one from the back of the carb to the brake booster.
It's been a long time, but probably for CA emissions.

Kudos to Jeff for the correct color. (y)

At one time I owned a 70 Trans Am RAIII, a 70 GTO RAIV, and a 65 Bonneville wagon with a 421 YK block tri power HO 376 hp. Sold them all when my kids went to college.

Wow! That ain't chopped liver there. Every one of them a peach!
How badly do you wish you had one of them now?

Those Ram Air motors were mighty impressive!

I had a '66 Goat. Much later I got a beautiful silver on black '73 Fire Chicken with a bad 350; I swapped in a '69 400 engine and Turbo 400. This was a project when I got sober; had to take up my time. What a great car.
I started making $$ and got into Corvettes, but those Pontiacs stole my heart. I don't think I have another build in me; but I can dream. Ha!

The 400 Mighty Mouse from 1969 was a great engine. I swapped one from a '69 Caprice coupe into a Suburban for my brother. With all that torque, it would have been nice to have had a 4 speed.
Fun times, but as you said, I don't think I have another project like this in me anymore either. It was pretty darn fun at the time though. 😀

Edit: sorry, my brain was stuck on the Chevy 400, not the Poncho. Different beast.

Last edited:
The Qjet was the best setup. The 67 intake is the one to have. It is actually better (flow) than the aftermarket dual plane intakes. I’m sure you know this but all aftermarket camshafts will need a lot more initial timing than stock. Even the “nostalgia “ cam grinds aren’t the same with respect to ignition timing.

The Qjet was the best setup. The 67 intake is the one to have. It is actually better (flow) than the aftermarket dual plane intakes. I’m sure you know this but all aftermarket camshafts will need a lot more initial timing than stock. Even the “nostalgia “ cam grinds aren’t the same with respect to ignition timing.
High compression iron headed Pontiacs need more initial lead and shorter curve with not too much total. Especially with wannbe CA "Premium".
I set initial by highest manifold vacuum. Mainly you have to limit vacuum advance or they will rattle like crazy.
I have this problem with my 4-4-2.

Last edited:
These came off my '63 Bonneville. I have the rest of the intake and miscellaneous pieces someplace. It's complete. I just need a '61-'64 Pontiac to put it on.

20230116_184720_resized.jpg

Back