63 and looking for a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Groundhog Day - today I left the Mitsubishi dealership, again....and took my tools down to the Honda motorcycle dealership, again.

No road bikes, only off road stuff. I do see some old road bikes, but they are dead. A KLR650 with a puddle of oil under it...I need to find out about that one.

First day today, finding out who's who, and how they run the place. On UTV's today, a couple of Pioneers...one new one needing a screen, wiper and roof, and one that's been in a bad frontal. This is what I enjoy, working on something new to me, someone else has pulled it apart and I have to figure out how it all goes back together. A lot more work going through the place since I was last here....9 years ago.

Well, that wasn't so good - it was exactly the same as last time. Looks like I'm not an ATV mechanic...it's not that I can't work on this stuff, apart from the filth, it's interesting work. Working on cars and trucks, brakes, steering and suspension is a line in the sand, the ATV's don't go on the road, there is no base line and I'm lost. So it's ''Don't worry about this, or that, the owner doesn't want the brakes fixed''....and then ''We can't send it out like this, you haven't done this, or that'' I put up with it for a few weeks, then said to myself, I'm out of here. Get back to the guy who offered me the other job, or maybe the shop 10km south who are looking for someone.

Then I got a call from the dealership owner, with a job offer. He doesn't want to leave his valued customers in the lurch, he still needs to look after them. So they have moved my old hoist (lift) down to the Ag shop, and I'll have a corner to work in, doing servicing and safety checks on the account customers vehicles, if I have no work, or if needed, I can work in the Ag shop. The Ag shop used to be next to the car shop, so I know all these people, I can fit in straight away. Of course the Ag manager isn't that pleased to have someone working on cars in the corner of his shop, and he didn't someonne he doesn't know mucking around in there, so he asked for me.

So, it's all a little strange, and worked out for the better after a 6 week hicup.

I know why jobs are hard to find in the USA.... leaky borders.
Australia built a "Dingo Fence", USA needs a Gringo Fence".
New Zealand is too far to swim.

Of the 10 most common surnames in Auckland, only one at the bottom of the list is European. To be a Tradesman in NZ you need qualifications, and young people no longer aspire to be a tradesman, and so there is a shortage. Saying you worked at Jiffy Lube doesn't make you a mechanic here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back