6-month oil changes?

I don't drive the BMW as much as I used to since I drive the Camry to and from work. The BMW gets driven during the weekend. I put about 1500~ miles in 7 months. Changed the oil when the car had 36,500 miles on it. It's got about 37,850~ miles on it. I was going to change the oil today. But, kinda seems like a waste 😂.

Maybe I'll change it in 3 months. Hopefully, the oil doesn't go "bad".

You're fine once a year. If you drove it two miles twice a day for this kind of mileage you should change it, but like you said, you drive it every weekend, fully warmed up.

I wrestle with this issue also. Have a couple of vehicles that get used lightly. Plenty of bargain oil to spare but I'm frugal and won't waste a drop. Time or mileage? Maybe an old Euro royalty aphorism can offer some guidance. It has worked well in the past for lots of guys and keeps their machinery working properly.

'Once a King (annually) always a King but once a Knight (mileage) is enough'

Last edited:
The ranch 2014 Caravan clocked 600~ odd miles hauling 800lbs of concrete today on 1.4 year old oil. 5 quarts of 0w20 castrol magnatec, and 1 quart of 5w20 supertech. It did not explode, it did not exhibit any signs of rod knocking. It was smooth droopy butt sailing. Living on the edge running "old oil" is thrilling. Its going to do a 300 mile round trip to a family reunion this upcoming weekend if the weather holds up, we'll see how those somewhat diluted smart molecules hold up.

Why spend that much on a car, then drive the Camry?

Saving the Bimmer for good?
Good point. I Just bought a 2011 328xi with 36k on the clock. The first owner sadly passed away from cancer.

Mine might see 5k yearly going forward, because I walk to work. Last year I drove 2k on my Toyota, but we put 10k on my wife's truck.

Low miles Bimmers are pretty easy to find.

I mean, I didn't drive it in the winter at all. Hence the 1500~ Miles being put on it in 7~ months. It'll be driven more now since the weather is nicer.

This is why the Xdrive versions are so popular in the PNW. But we don't live in the rust belt.
I thought about selling the 540 and getting into an E92 M3. But, I'd take a pretty decent hit on the 540. I brought it CPO in March 2022. Kinda during the "end" of covid? I sold my 09 E90 328 for 4k more than market value in 2022. That thing had 78k miles on it when I sold it. So, kind of a win-lose situation I guess 😂.

I don't owe much on the 540. Probably pay it off in the upcoming months. But, selling it imo would be stupid considering the loss I would be taking. It'll make a good "date" car though 😂.

Last edited:

When I bought the 540, I didn't have the Camry. Plus, at the old dealership, I worked at, they had a pressure washer and I was able to hand wash the car, etc during the winter and the drive was 14 miles both ways. So, not a lot of miles were being put on the 540.

The current dealership I work for, it's a 50-mile drive both ways and there is no access to a pressure washer. They have a machine car wash which is golden for the Camry 😂

My wife only drove her car about 2200 miles over the first 6 months of owning her new car we got in October last year. 2024 kia seltos awd. We are under warranty and want to keep it so we'll be doing oil changes every 6 months like it calls for.

Back