5W30, 4000 miles, 3.5L Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil you sampled isn't bulk Castrol....the moly and Boron numbers say it is either Mobil, Exxon or Havoline...

Well, it was sampled about a month ago. I guess they might have changed suppliers since then. Otherwise, there are 3 possibilities....
1. The sample was not my oil after all. The dealer pulled a switcheroo.
2. The service manager doesn't know what he's talking about.
3. That moly is not an additive after all.

Back to my original plan. At 25K I'll try to get a virgin oil sample for analysis and compare it to a UOA at 30K. Hopefully the moly levels will be consistent.

Brett... I see u have an '08 Sienna too. Have u ever experienced piston slap?? Seems like some have it and some don't.

i wouldnt worrya bout it too much, they have you on record complaining about teh motor and the noise it makes. if you were to every have engine issue related you have a case to make against them.,. i wouldnt worry, use quality oil and enjoy your van. my taco ticks (not sure if its piston slap or what not) it has done it for 157k miles and she runs like the day i bought it. love that truck

Mine does a little bit when cold but is dead quiet when it works up. I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 since 1,300 mile and an OEM filter.

Mine is quite noisy when cold. It sounds like a diesel till it completely warms up. It used to be a winter condition, but now its all year long. Its interesting, I read elsewhere that synthetic oil usually made the sound worse.

Originally Posted By: Bill_Jay
umDummy...Been there, done that. After a year of Toyota techs and service managers saying "its normal, they all do that", they finally decided its piston slap.

From other forums, it seems like the vvt-i clatter is a constant. It doesn't go away after the engine warms up. Besides, wouldn't that cam/vvt-i show up in my oil analysis? If you know otherwise, I'd like to hear more.

Did you have the cams and VVTi replaced per the TSB?

Cam/VVti will not show up in a UOA. Loose tolerance will function fine with a little noise.

Toyota wouldn't even check that TSB because the sound goes away when the engine is warm.

And I can't imagine that metal to metal contact doesn't result in some wear material in a UOA.

My '03 Sienna with the 1MZ-FE did that as well. The sound went away after it warmed up a bit. UOA's always came back OK.

I had a 08 Sienna as a rental and on cold starts it did have piston slap. Nice van thoe, quite peppy even with 8 passengers and full of [censored] in the trunk.

Jeez,I had the 3.0 1MZ-FE and now the 3.3 what ever MZ motor it is,and dont have any noises. (except when I first put in Synthetic oil) after I bought it. Had 59k on the odo.and probably the first time Synthetic oil was ever used in it.

I've read that the 3.5 is much louder than the 3.3, and prone to piston slap too

Originally Posted By: Bill_Jay
I've read that the 3.5 is much louder than the 3.3, and prone to piston slap too

Well,I dont know about that,but it has A lot more power. I had a 2010 RX350 when mine was in for a TSB, man what a difference in power.

I've owned a number of cars with timing chains, but never had one as noisy as the 3.5L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back