5w20 vs 0w20 Valvoline Advanced

Probably been beat to death. Moderators eliminate if so……
Is there anything different in the additive package in the 5w20 over the 0w20 that would be of concern for a GM 5.3 that supposedly has to have the 0w20? Both have the Dexos approval. Personally I can’t see where it would make any difference. Heck it was 98 degrees yesterday. The 5W20 is cheaper at Walmart. That’s why I’m interested.

Last edited:
Look at the PDS, the 0 version appears to have a stronger add pack and its Dexos1, Gen 2 approved

Look at the PDS, the 0 version appears to have a stronger add pack and its Dexos1, Gen 2 approved

Such as that can also be a licensing thing. They'll get just one grade, the most common seller and most OEM recommended one, certified for the sake of having that marketing point even though the other grades have the same add pack and would meet the cert just the same. They don't want to pay the license fees and royalty fees when they don't have to, which I don't blame them. Dexos is expensive comparatively to other certifications. Valvoline has a tendency to white wash their PDSs as well. One shows the max Zn/P they could have within API while the other shows a lower end spec. I would be very surprised if there's actually any difference between them at all additive wise.

PQIA for 0W-20 says 722 ppm P.

PQIA for 5W-20 says 745 ppm P.

OP, no harm will come from using the 5W-20 in place of the 0W-20. Likely the only difference is a little higher initial viscosity base oil with less VII polymer in the 5W-20 which is a good thing from a wear and volatility perspective. Run it with confidence.

Last edited:
The 0W looks slightly thicker. Great looking add pack on both! I'm going to buy a jug of Valvoline EP for my next oil change.

Looks like the price is now $29 per jug. Such as everything. No way to know when there may be a “sale”…

Spec sheets by Valvoline.

0W-20

1655326733015.jpg

5W-20

1655326762094.jpg

Back