5w20 Oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing the topic of 5W-20 producing more oil consumption in older engines more and more in recent posts. After a lot of research and reading the comments left from various posts I made here on BITOG, I decided to use Motorcraft 5W-20 in my 1994 Thunderbird (4.6L V8) for my Auto-RX rinse phase. I have 103,500 miles on this car. My engine has never consumed any noticeable quantity of oil during its OCIs. I intend to use this particular OCI as an experiment, to test whether the 5W-20 oil consumption issue is valid (at least with my old engine). I'm not doubting it happens to others, but I'm a bit concerned with my car.

Anyone out there with a 4.6 that has experienced 5W-20 consumption issues? I've only used 5W-30 prior to this recent switch.

I have used only 5w-30 in my 4.6 since new. It now has 116,000 miles without any problems. I'm not switching to 5w-20.

I wonder if the consumption has more to do with piston ring tension, assuming they, the bore and piston are in good running order. Less control = more left behind to join in the combustion event.

???

Last edited:
FORD TSB # 02-1-9 Includes your 1994 4.6L 2V Thunderbird in the list of vehicles that they now recommend 5W-20 oil for.

Not that continuing to use 5W-30 is going to cause any harm, but you should feel safe using the 5W-20 that you are asking about as it has the Ford Motor Company "seal of approval".

The only question that I have....is Motorcraft 5W-20 a conventional oil, as called for in the AutoRX instructions for the rinse phase?.....or is it a "synthetic blend"?.
Give the label a good read.

You might read up on other people's experiences during the AutoRX rinse phase, to see if they notice any temporary consumption increase that is a factor of the ARX process, and not a permenant factor caused by the oil.

I switched from 5W-30 to 5W-20 in my '96 3.8L Windstar last year.....it is now at 190K miles, and I did not notice anything negative from the switch.

Last edited:
I decided to use Motorcraft 5W-20 in my 1994 Thunderbird (4.6L V8) for my Auto-RX rinse phase. I have 103,500 miles on this car. My engine has never consumed any noticeable quantity of oil during its OCIs.

Why switch now at 103K?

I've only used 5W-30 prior to this recent switch.

Stay with it.

No problem with the 5w-20 with AutoRX its a blend.

There is no reason to think that this is "bad" for your engine. I'll offer that it's a transitional deal with the Auto-Rx doing its thing.

Does anyone really think that, under any kind of normal conditions (as in anything short of EXTREME/INTENSE/UNREAL), that you could possibly damage an engine to the point where it would not consume oil with a 30 weight ..yet consume it with a 20 weight in the span of ONE OCI?

Anticipating a "NO" for the answer ..then there's nothing to worry about. If it doesn't go away or get reduced in the next OCI using the 5w-20 ..then go back to your 5w30.

Change your PCV valve.

I only have about 65 miles on the 5W-20, so it's too early to tell about any consumption. Actually, I doubt it will burn any. This engine has always been great. I usually drive short trips, so I'm thinking this oil will probably be perfect...especially for the freezing weather ahead. I have to say, I've been a 20-weight doubter for a long time, but due to the way I drive, my oil was probably a true 30-weight only about 10% of the time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back