5W-40 vs 10W-30 for a 2018 Audi A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Audi dealership recommends 5W-40 for my car with 10K intervals. I wanted to go with 5K intervals due to a lot of short mileage trips just as a precaution. My mechanic recommended Mobil 1 10W-30 due to our mild winters here in Nashville (rarely gets below 10 * F). Is there any harm in using the 10W-30 or any potential benefits? I appreciate any feedback....I am not very knowledgeable but I do want to keep this car for many hopefully troublefree years.

It's a new car. If it's in warranty, do what the manual says - which is probably 0W-40 or 5W-40 502 Euro-spec motor oil.

Originally Posted by ruhroh
It's a new car. If it's in warranty, do what the manual says - which is probably 0W-40 or 5W-40 502 Euro-spec motor oil.

Yes, do this. Mobil 1 10W-30 does not meet Audi requirements. Find a mechanic who cares more about the Audi and less about the weather.

Last edited:
Your mechanic seems to be clueless as to the requirements of a recommended oil for your Audi. Mobil 1 10w30 is much too thin. You can use anything the meets VW / Audi spec 502 or 504 and some of those will be 30 grades but they will be much thicker "Euro" oils and none of them will be 10w30's.

Using a typical 10w30 like Mobil 1 in your Audi would be counter productive to your goal of keeping the car for many trouble free years, not to mention throwing your warranty out the window if there was a lubrication related issue.

Mobil does make oils suitable for your Audi, such as their 0w40.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Originally Posted by ruhroh

Yes, do this. Mobil 1 10W-30 does not meet Audi requirements. Find a mechanic who cares more about the Audi and less about the weather.

^ This.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Do you have the standard 2.0L or the new B-Cycle variant of the 2.0L which requires a VW 508.00 approved 0W-20? Most of the A4s that I've seen take the 0W-20.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...i_USA_Scheduled_Maintenance_9-7-2017.pdf

Newer Audi's are recommending 0W-20?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted by KCJeep

Using a typical 10w30 like Mobil 1 in your Audi would be counter productive to your goal of keeping the car for many trouble free years,

I'm going to "Throw down the gauntlet" and say this: Running Mobil 1 10W-30 in your Audi won't hurt it one bit.

My engine is the standard 2.0L which requires VW 502.00. I think I better take it back and have him refill with 0W-40 if he is using Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Shoild be a Bitigger rule. If the manual asks for 40 weight, use 40 weight. It if it asks for 20 wt , use 30 wt.
smile.gif

Use what's best for your engine (after warranty expiration). I love those that speak Sideways Truths, like this post above.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex

Using a typical 10w30 like Mobil 1 in your Audi would be counter productive to your goal of keeping the car for many trouble free years,

I'm going to "Throw down the gauntlet" and say this: Running Mobil 1 10W-30 in your Audi won't hurt it one bit.

Id agree, you probably wont have issues, however from now on try to stick to an approved oil, and maybe use OEM filters for the warranty period just in case. There have been numerous issues with the 2.0 over the past 10 years, many of them timing/mechanical/oil related. 5k is also a good interval, easy to track and cheap insurance. I wouldnt run right back to have it switched out, just run your 5k and go with something approved next time. We had a customer with an 08 2.0t that went anywhere for oil changes and always went the 10k no matter where he went, of course he made it to 294k before the turbo imploded and shrapnelled the engine.

Originally Posted by Audios

Id agree, you probably wont have issues, however from now on try to stick to an approved oil, and maybe use OEM filters for the warranty period just in case. There have been numerous issues with the 2.0 over the past 10 years, many of them timing/mechanical/oil related. 5k is also a good interval, easy to track and cheap insurance. I wouldnt run right back to have it switched out, just run your 5k and go with something approved next time. We had a customer with an 08 2.0t that went anywhere for oil changes and always went the 10k no matter where he went, of course he made it to 294k before the turbo imploded and shrapnelled the engine.

This is closer to the norm not the sky is falling BITOG speak of engines dying left and right.

As for the OP 10W30 will protect your car just fine and will not be the cause of a lubericant related failure especially at 5K intervals. It is just as easy to follow Audi's recommended interval and specified oil. Audi's are one of the more reliable luxury makes but the engines are still failing at a higher than average rate.

Originally Posted by Audios

This is closer to the norm not the sky is falling BITOG speak of engines dying left and right.

As for the OP 10W30 will protect your car just fine and will not be the cause of a lubericant related failure especially at 5K intervals. It is just as easy to follow Audi's recommended interval and specified oil. Audi's are one of the more reliable luxury makes but the engines are still failing at a higher than average rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back