5W-30 Maxlife Synthetc A3 rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this sound right? I was in Wal-Mart, and I saw the new Maxlife Synthetic. Unless I was halucinating, I swear the jug of 5W-30 I looked at had the ACEA A3 rating. Maybe this is a good oil for $20.96 per 5 qt. jug???

Why use Vavoline with their questionable lack of additive past when you can go with M1 that's cheaper??

What makes you think Valvoline's perceived lack of additives make it an inferior oil?

I'm not convinced that Mobil 1 is the "be all, end all" in OTC "Wal Mart" oils, and I think we overlook other worthy competition based on our preconceived notions.

As for me, I have stocked up on GC, so I won't be needing any oil anytime soon.
smile.gif

I agree Nova. Pretty much every Valvoline report posted here has been comparable to every other oil out there, despite the supposed lack of additives
rolleyes.gif
And, everytime I post this, someone flames the **** out of me for it. If you want to blow sunshine up your butt and not use Valvoline, go right ahead. If you do use Valvoline, will your motor be as well protected as any other oil comparable to it? Probably.

I understand Synpower is Group III. I suspect Maxlife is based on Group III, but would have a Group IV or V component also. The maxlife may be the better synthetic of the two.

It has got to be somewhat thick for the A3 rating. (HT/HS>3.5) Compared to the Supertech HM Synth, the only other HM synth I can think of, the A3-spec makes it worth the extra $8/5 quart jug.

I've been looking for a low spread ACEA A3 oil and may have found it here in the 5w-30 or 10w-30. Was gonna use Mobil 1 0w-40 until I noticed that the Maxlife is ACEA A3 and even meets the VW502 and 505 specs! It's even posted on their website. Just emailed them today to get the exact HTHS numbers. Will report them here once they respond.

Anybody think there are any downsides to using a "high mileage oil" for newer cars? Thanks.

Novadude, I don't have time right now to dig into the past, but when I first came on this site, the UOA's were sucking. Pretty much all members at that time agreed on the same thing: Vavoline has a terrible additive package. OK, so just MAYBE they have changed, and perhaps Castrol feels bad about the whole lawsuit thing, but that was my first impression on Valvoline and still sticks to this day. Anyway, the was the source of the reply.

Novadude, I don't have time right now to dig into the past, but when I first came on this site, the UOA's were sucking. Pretty much all members at that time agreed on the same thing: Vavoline has a terrible additive package. OK, so just MAYBE they have changed, and perhaps Castrol feels bad about the whole lawsuit thing, but that was my first impression on Valvoline and still sticks to this day. Anyway, that was the source of the reply.

VeeDubb , yup i was thinking that too, of using Maxlife on a newly rebuilt Ford 5.0 . Maxlife's info page says its ok to use with new and rebuilt engines and will not void new car warranties. I am currently using Maxlife in my Dodge 5.2l with some Maxlife Engine Protector additive. Ill post the UOA when i get the oil changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back