5w-20 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Accord calls for 5w-20 oil only. I might change the oil more often than the 7,500 mile interval, but Mobil 1 does not offer 5w-20 and I have used that for years. Amsoil has only one 5w-20 that is kinda synthetic. I have found regular oil in 5W-20. Would Mobil1 5w-30 be better than a regular oil that is 5W-20. I would prefer to follow manufacturer recomendations, but would also like to provide my car with a good choice. Any comments would be helpful!

Why not just use one of the available 5W-20s in your new Honda until the M-1 0W-20's available. It's not like the factory ~recommended~ dino-blend's gonna damage your engine for goodness sake.

I use Pennzoil 5W-20 in my 02 Accord and change every 3K, also the Mobil 1 0W-20 will be out in March.

Kevin

While I'd be leery about leaving any dino oil in for 7,500 mi I SERIOUSLY doubt that you'll do any harm in using either Honda's 5W-20 or any of the 5W-20's on the market that meet the tougher Ford or Honda standards and changing it out at a reasonable time/mileage frame of say 3-4,000 miles. I thought the Honda factory fill oil was loaded with Moly, though I don't know about the dealer/replacement oil. I believe that the Castrol GTX 5W-20 oil has a decent dollup of Moly in it and meets those tougher standards. Until the Mobil 1 0W-20 oil comes onto the market don't sweat using the dino's with the reasonable change intervals.

Whimsey

I agree with the advice given so far. The "dino" 5w-20 oils are better made than their 30 and 40-weight counterparts, especially if the oil has Ford or Honda approval. Ford's WSS-M2C153-H spec calls for a double-length sequence IIIF test with tighter viscosity increase limits than the single-length API SL spec. Honda has a similar requirement.

I still think Mobil 1 5w-30 is the best deal for 20-weight users right now that want a full synthetic oil. It's almost 20-weight right out of the bottle.

Check out the virgin sample of the Honda 5W20 that I submitted, tons of moly and high viscoscity, actually a 30 weight. I should have some results of the oil after 3000 miles in a 2003 Civic EX in a couple of weeks. The oil I submitted was out of the quart bottles available at the dealer. -Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back