50 Years. USS Thresher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
As a 12 year Submariner and current maintainer and frequent rider on Sumbmarines, I would like to make a brief post about the USS Thresher SSN 593. 50 years ago on April 10th at 0918 in the morning the the Thresher was lost with 129 sailors and civilans on board while concucting her sea trials after upkeep.

It hurts to think about the loss of life, but their sacrifice has made modern submarines safe for enveryone involved based off what was learned from their loss. May they all rest in peace.
SSN 593
Ships Roster

My birthday is surrounded by too many tragedies, can't we celebrate 4/20 yet....

I remember when this submarine sank. It was a shock. I was only 11 years old. Later we lost another one.

I saw a show on TV about the USS Thresher. Apparently there were some serious maintenance issues that were not taken care of too well. And after this disaster they had much better maintenance for nuclear submarines in the US Navy.

I am somewhat concerned however that the submarine fleet is getting old and we probably need some new submarines.

I don't think I could do submarine service. I imagine you can't have any claustrophobic tendencies.

I'd get too claustrophobic in Submarines like that, but God bless all those sailors on the USS Thresher. Their sacrifices have made it safer for others to be on board those vessels. Can't believe this was 50 years ago how time flies.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
My birthday is surrounded by too many tragedies, can't we celebrate 4/20 yet....

Hey that's my wife's birthday... and Hitlers...
wink.gif

I'm reading "The Death of the Thresher" right now, and I vividly remember when that happened. It's good to remember the sacrifice that they and others made.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
...I am somewhat concerned however that the submarine fleet is getting old and we probably need some new submarines.

Warships and submarines are designed for very long service lives, 20-30 years+ typically, and are frequenly extended by major retrofitting & overhauls called "service life extension programs". So they're old but old age per se isn't a problem.

We do have plenty of new subs too, a couple Seawolf class and the new Virginia class which are rolling off the line as we speak. The replacement for the Ohio class ballistic missile subs is under development.

jeff

I was on the SS417, (USS Tench), SSN 604, (USS Haddo) and a plank owner on SSBN 633, (USS Casimir Pulaski).
Haddo was in the Med in May 68 conducting ops with Scorpion.
Casimir Pulaski was a cold war deterrent, I did 5 patrols, gold crew.
Tench was a 4 engine diesel boat, did a "Northern Run" in fall of 61.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
As a 12 year Submariner and current maintainer and frequent rider on Sumbmarines, I would like to make a brief post about the USS Thresher SSN 593. 50 years ago on April 10th at 0918 in the morning the the Thresher was lost with 129 sailors and civilans on board while concucting her sea trials after upkeep.

It hurts to think about the loss of life, but their sacrifice has made modern submarines safe for enveryone involved based off what was learned from their loss. May they all rest in peace.
SSN 593
Ships Roster

There is an excellent book about the exemplary service of American Submariners titled
"Blind Man's Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew. It reads like a novel but is packed with the real life missions of these very special men and their incredible
machines. All Americans owe a debt of gratitude to the men and women of our very fine military and especially those is the "Silent Service"....our American Submariners.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
I was on the SS417, (USS Tench), SSN 604, (USS Haddo) and a plank owner on SSBN 633, (USS Casimir Pulaski).
Haddo was in the Med in May 68 conducting ops with Scorpion.
Casimir Pulaski was a cold war deterrent, I did 5 patrols, gold crew.
Tench was a 4 engine diesel boat, did a "Northern Run" in fall of 61.

Crusty! Did you retire?

I served on a sub repair ship in the late 60's and we had some from fast attacks that were in our division. Their beliefs were that one was lost due to a failed hull flange and another in a collision with a soviet sub. I don't believe that they had any real evidence, or at least they never said that they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back