"50 weight" motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've researched, it looks as if these oils 5w-50, 15w-50 and 20w-50 oils are definitely higher than Xw-20/Xw-30 in zinc, but what else are they higher in? Are they higher in detergents as well or it's about the same? I'm sure alot of factors vary between brands, but is there a rule of thumb here?

Also, I'm looking at mixing some 5w-50 with some 0w-20 (50/50 mix and both are Quaker State full synthetic) sometime in the near future. Any thoughts on that?

A 50 weight oil would be much too thick for your F150. You only want to go as thick as needed. A 5w30 would be excellent.

Also you really don't need any extra zinc / phosphorous.

Unless you have knowledge equal to those who formulate oils don't do it. If you are trying to get rid of oil, maybe? But still not a great idea. I don't know if I can answer your other question.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Why? What do you hope to accomplish with that oddball mixture?

+1.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Why? What do you hope to accomplish with that oddball mixture?

It's much more reasonable than the posts I've seen on here applauding someone for using five odd quarts(different brands and/or weights)for a oil change...

Info here on BITOG seems to vary with the phase of the moon, menstrual cycle, whatever...

Are the oils of the same brand, and class. Such as pyb5w30sm, and pyb20w50sm. If so im sure it would be ok. Let your oil pressure give you the final ok.
You are just trying to burn through a stash right?

I would not think you would benefit much from the mix you have in mind, other than getting a somewhat expensive 5w30'ish with unknown properties.

If you want a beefy synthetic i'd look at something like Rotella 5w40.

If, as others suggested, you are trying to use up your stash, then I don't think it would hurt anything.

Let me be the first to say that I very much don't believe in mixing oils, not even one quart into five, but I found a steal of a deal on both of these oils and while neither alone works in my truck, a mixture of the two probably would.

As for what I am trying to accomplish, the answer to that would be a very cheap OCI and conducting an experiment with mixing the two to see what the outcome would be.

Both oils are Quaker State synthetic.

The outcome will be an oil in the 30wt range.It will hurt nothing.Be careful by experimenting with your oil just for the heck of it,after all its only your ENGINE!!!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If you're going to do it, at least use Widman's calculator so that you'll know what final viscosity you end up with.
http://widman.biz/English/Calculators/Calculators.html

+1

Yes you have to use the viscosity calculators as a 50/50 blend will give you a heavy 30wt or light 40wt oil. The resulting mix to acheive a light 30wt oil will be more in the 75/25 range in favor of the 20wt oil.
Also only the 5W-50 and 15W-50 are worth considering for mixing; the antiquated 20W-50 grade due to it's low VI results in very poor blends.
Additionally, it's good to know the HTHSV of the oils as the resultant KV100 spec's can be misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back