50 Mile Maverick Hybrid Trip today.

2 wheel FWD Remember this is a CUV with a bed -AWD is available

2000 lb, came with hitch and wiring outlet

Lots, at least enough for me.

Not enough capability for me, but for those whom it suits it seems to run pretty cheap.

Another one of these has shown up at work, more of a dark blue. I’ve got to say, it looks great in person.

Nice to see a temp gauge.
Ford was the literal pioneer of dummy gauges. I can assure you that is not a temp gauge, but a glorified idiot light, just as all Ford analog ancillary gauges (except fuel ?) have been since the late 80's..?? The last decent oil pressure gauge ended in the 7th gen F-series; after that oil pressure gauges had two positions: > a set PSI which indicated normal pressure on the gauge, and < a set PSI which indicated low oil pressure. No more useful than an idiot light. Temp gauges were largely the same way, but I haven't studied them enough in enough models to tell if it was universal.

I guess what bothers me most about that Maverick, is the gauge cluster reminds me too much of a 9th gen F-series, the epitome of useless gauges. And no RPM gauge? Yuck.

My griping aside, they're good looking trucks and Ford has entered a market that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist. I hope they do well and am glad they introduced a smaller pickup. New vehicle buyers probably don't care about all the things I'm griping about.

Ford was the literal pioneer of dummy gauges. I can assure you that is not a temp gauge, but a glorified idiot light, just as all Ford analog ancillary gauges (except fuel ?) have been since the late 80's..??
Just a observation from a drive last evening. Went for a longish drive around sunset. For the last leg of the journey I tried out Sport Mode. Normally the water temp gauge, when driven enough to fully warm up, is around 1/3 of the scale.

After running in Sport Mode for 5 miles or so, the water temp gauge rose to straight up, which is half of the display. Went back to Normal Mode and the temp dropped down to where it normally runs. In this version of the hybrid the engine is on full time except at stops, while in Sport Mode. My observation is the gauge is showing small increases and decreases in water temperatures, most likely due to the ICE running all the time.

BTW this truck is quick in Sport Mode. It even makes fake shift sounds.

Ford was the literal pioneer of dummy gauges. I can assure you that is not a temp gauge, but a glorified idiot light, just as all Ford analog ancillary gauges (except fuel ?) have been since the late 80's..?? The last decent oil pressure gauge ended in the 7th gen F-series; after that oil pressure gauges had two positions: > a set PSI which indicated normal pressure on the gauge, and < a set PSI which indicated low oil pressure. No more useful than an idiot light. Temp gauges were largely the same way, but I haven't studied them enough in enough models to tell if it was universal.

I guess what bothers me most about that Maverick, is the gauge cluster reminds me too much of a 9th gen F-series, the epitome of useless gauges. And no RPM gauge? Yuck.

My griping aside, they're good looking trucks and Ford has entered a market that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist. I hope they do well and am glad they introduced a smaller pickup. New vehicle buyers probably don't care about all the things I'm griping about.
On some, but never saw a temp gauge like that. 95 E150, oil pressure appeared to always stay the same, coolant changed. 03 Explorer all were changing. 95 minivan, coolant changed from cold to hot up and down.
The reason I said nice to see a coolant gauge is because the Prius and Volt had none.

Last edited:
Ford was the literal pioneer of dummy gauges. I can assure you that is not a temp gauge, but a glorified idiot light, just as all Ford analog ancillary gauges (except fuel ?) have been since the late 80's..??
The temp gauges are often real, just heavily buffered. When the thermostat on our '02 Expedition packed it in, this was glaringly obvious in the change in the temp gauge.
The last decent oil pressure gauge ended in the 7th gen F-series; after that oil pressure gauges had two positions: > a set PSI which indicated normal pressure on the gauge, and < a set PSI which indicated low oil pressure. No more useful than an idiot light. Temp gauges were largely the same way, but I haven't studied them enough in enough models to tell if it was universal.
Last decent oil pressure gauge AFAIK ended in 1993 with the end of the fox body Mustang. During that same era, on vehicles that came with a pressure switch (which was easy to tell just looking at the sender, the real gauges had a large bell-shaped sender).

Latest MPG eye candy.

Tonight's drive
397.jpg

cumulative total on first tank.

396.jpg

I really like the maverick. I would love to have one. But there's three things Ford. Needs to do before I will buy one. Number One. Ford has to stop their dealers from. gaging people on prices. That absolutely has to stop. And I think they're working towards that and putting an end to it. Number 2. The Maverick I'm interested in is the hybrid. But I want all wheel drive. And I will not buy one until they make. A all wheel drive, hybrid maverick. And I really believe there's enough interest in a maverick in all wheel drive. in hybrid form. That Ford will do that very soon. And #3, the biggest one. Ford has to guarantee. A free replacement on the battery pack. when the life of the first one wears out? I'm the type of person that buys a vehicle. And drives Forever. I don't trade it in when it gets 70 or 80,000 miles on it. And that's about the life of the battery pack. in most of these hybrid vehicles. And then they have to be changed because they're no good anymore. And they're not cheap to replace. Right now, I'm driving a 2008 Ford Explorer? With.171.000 Miles on it So as you can see, I keep my vehicles for a long time.How Ford would handle the battery pack issue is very. Important to me. Hopefully very soon They can. start using the. Diamond battery technology. And that will would care of this problem. Somehow, I doubt that Ford would step up to the plate and do anything. With my number 3. Problem. So I'll have to think long and hard about. The hybrid.

Back