50 Caliber Gatling Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found myself humming "Ride of the Valkyries" during the part where they were firing it from the helicopter.

There is one of these in a military museum up in Wolfeboro, NH that I thought was worth a drive to check out.
m16WWIIvehicles.jpg

I think it was developed as an AA weapon, but the troops found that racing it up and down streets with the guns blazing to one side and then the other was a great way to get defenders in fortified German towns to put their hands up towards the end of WWII.
The US military uses a wide variety of Gatlings in 7.62mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 30mm, too.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
There is one of these in a military museum up in Wolfeboro, NH that I thought was worth a drive to check out.
m16WWIIvehicles.jpg

I think it was developed as an AA weapon, but the troops found that racing it up and down streets with the guns blazing to one side and then the other was a great way to get defenders in fortified German towns to put their hands up towards the end of WWII.
The US military uses a wide variety of Gatlings in 7.62mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 30mm, too.
I'm told by an old warrior that the sound of a bunch of quad .50s cranking their engines to get turret power was a real "attention getter". Toward the end of the "Vietnam experience" Huey door gunners were getting GE Gatlings in 7.62. Some airframe beefing required.

Last edited:
I was in a customer's garage ( barn )some years back and he had the WW2 50 cal quad
that is pictured . I was stoked , the official get off my porch set-up.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
That's a puny 62 caliber ball in the barrel... ( During the build process)
2_bore_rifle.jpg

Any videos of firing it? Does it blow up a pallet size water tote like a water jug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back