5.56 and 9mm Special at Palmetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW1

Guys,

Just wanted to mention that Palmetto State Armory IPSA) currently has bulk 55 grain 5.56 ammo on special. It's Federal American Eagle, 1000 rounds and going for $330.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

They also have PMC 9mm 115 grain FMJ selling for $10 per box of 50.

They do charge for shipping but they have never charged me sales tax.

Might be a good time to "rack and stack" if you can afford to. Keep it cool and dry and it won't go bad in our lifetime.

They are not the best deals I have ever seen. But a LGS has the same bulk Federal for $409 with all sorts of dire warnings of shortages.

I guess a better way to put it would be a decent price to top off?

I stopped buying Federal 5.56 once Wolf Gold .223 became available. Just as good, some say better, and cheaper. I've bought about 8K or 9K rounds of it so far and it's been 100% reliable with not one jam or problem. It's my go to ammo and I highly recommend it. And just so you are aware, Wolf doesn't actually make any ammo, they are just an importer. And in this case, the Wold Gold ammo is imported from the Taiwan govt run ammunition plant. Very good stuff.

$315.50/ for 1000 rounds shipped currently

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-...olf-gold-ar-15-

Originally Posted By: RW1
They are not the best deals I have ever seen. But a LGS has the same bulk Federal for $409 with all sorts of dire warnings of shortages.

I guess a better way to put it would be a decent price to top off?
It looks like the going online price. If you need ammo it's a good price. I wouldn't order a pallet of it.

Of greater interest was the mil spec 30 round AR-15 magazines for $6.99 ea.

But I don't see them now...for that price, I might pick up a dozen spares...

say what you will but I stock up on steel case. Wolf usually. Shoots great and accurately. $229 a case shipped if you shop around. My AR's eat it up even firing 3 30rd mags as fast as I can. never had an issue with it even getting the rifles smoking hot.

Those are stack it deep prices. If SHTF it wont matter what the case is made of, and you probably wont have time to collect your brass.

For the guys who say their AR's wont run the "cheap Russian" stuff etc..etc.. if your rifle is so fragile it wont eat anything and everything you feed it you may want to "upgrade" or find one that will.

If things ever did get bad and you are having to scrounge for ammo i doubt you're going to be able to find green tips or American eagle everywhere you go.

If I shoot 10,000 rounds of Wolf it costs me $2290

if i shoot 10,000 rounds of AE brass it costs me $3390

I can buy a Brand new Colt AR every 8-10k rounds with the savings or I could buy 2 new Core-15 or Delton rifles. I shoot 90% steel cased for this reason.

I keep about 500RDs of green tip on hand but I don't shoot it.

This wasn't intended to be a rant!! shoot what you like! i just prefer to shoot more often and save money!

I'm going to try some steel case stuff when I finally run out of $.20/rd ammo I bought years ago.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
If I shoot 10,000 rounds of Wolf it costs me $2290. If i shoot 10,000 rounds of AE brass it costs me $3390 I can buy a Brand new Colt AR every 8-10k rounds with the savings or I could buy 2 new Core-15 or Delton rifles. I shoot 90% steel cased for this reason.

This wasn't intended to be a rant!! shoot what you like! i just prefer to shoot more often and save money!

What you are not taking into account, is that people shoot brass case ammunition for the reloading ability it offers. When you factor that into the equation, they're buying Colt and Delton AR's over what they're saving over you shooting steel case.

I doubt 1% of AR shooters pick up brass and reload. Looking from a purely financial standpoint. Once fired 5.56 brass is around $50/1000. It's still cheaper to fire the steel case and buy once fired brass than to buy brass case ammo for the brass.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I doubt 1% of AR shooters pick up brass and reload.

I agree. That fact is proven to me every Monday morning when I go to my club range. I get there first thing, right at sunrise. I find literally hundreds of rounds of once fired .223 brass laying all over the ground for the taking. All from the weekend warriors who leave it there. I turn this into beautiful .223 ammunition for literally pennies on the dollar. I have zero complaints that these guys spend upwards of $300.00+ a thousand on factory ammo, then let the most expensive component of it lay waste on the ground.

I've been doing this for decades, along with buying components in bulk. I can't count the money I've saved. Now that I'm retired, I have more than enough time to process and reload it. It doesn't take long to make it look like this. And even less time to run it through the Dillon. This is just a couple of Sunday's worth. Their loss is my gain. And I'm not shooting filthy, steel cased Russian garbage to boot!

Yep. 5.56 brass is everywhere. Not mine, I don't leave money on the ground. I always pick it up. Even though I don't reload it. If I ever start to reload .223 I have buckets of brass to get started.

Yep. 5.56 brass is everywhere. Not mine, I don't leave money on the ground. I always pick it up. Even though I don't reload it. If I ever start to reload .223 I have buckets of brass to get started.

I'm surprised at the fact more .223 / 5.56 MM shooters don't pick it up. Regardless if you reload or not, IT'S MONEY, pure and simple. Someone will buy it from you if you price it right. Just look at what once fired .223 / 5.56 MM brass sells for. It's right around $89.00 a thousand. And that's a GOOD PRICE. I've seen it for a lot more. Shooters who don't reload it could recoup almost one third of their ammunition cost if they collected it and sold it.

I doubt 1% of AR shooters pick up brass and reload. Looking from a purely financial standpoint. Once fired 5.56 brass is around $50/1000. It's still cheaper to fire the steel case and buy once fired brass than to buy brass case ammo for the brass.

+1 which is why I pay $.22-24 a round of steel case.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
If I shoot 10,000 rounds of Wolf it costs me $2290. If i shoot 10,000 rounds of AE brass it costs me $3390 I can buy a Brand new Colt AR every 8-10k rounds with the savings or I could buy 2 new Core-15 or Delton rifles. I shoot 90% steel cased for this reason.

What you are not taking into account, is that people shoot brass case ammunition for the reloading ability it offers. When you factor that into the equation, they're buying Colt and Delton AR's over what they're saving over you shooting steel case.

The point I was making is for stacking deep it doesn't make sense to stock brass case ammo. If SHTF you won't be worried about your brass. I wasn't putting down anyone's choice in usage, merely stating the savings and ability to practice more when using steel case ammo.

Bear in mind that many of us do not reload. I've looked into it and it just isn't worth my while in outright savings unless I just want it as a hobby. .223 and 9mm is cheap enough for me. As a non-reloader I cannot justify paying 30% more to just plink. I could sell the brass, but it isn't really worth much unless you have at least 1k cases. As others have said you can find it at ranges for free. When I do shoot brass I save it just in case I do ever decide to reload, or I give it to someone who does.

Last edited:
If one planned to reload in the future, would brass ammo be worth buying now? I don't see it getting any cheaper...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
If one planned to reload in the future, would brass ammo be worth buying now? I don't see it getting any cheaper...

Yes. Absolutely. It's not that much more for what it offers. And remember that the brass case is the most expensive component in the reloading process. If you accumulate several thousand cases, and choose not to reload, you can always sell the brass. If and when you do, you'll come out ahead financially over the guy who shot steel. Another thing is most steel cased ammo is filthy, and can cause problems in many AR-15 rifles. Not all, but many. Not so with brass cased. Steel is also harder on AR-15 extractors. Yes, they're cheap and easily replaced. But steel cased ammo can break them easier. Steel cases don't expand as easily, and create a lot of blow by that brass cases do not. Again adding to the "dirty factor".

As time passes you're going to see more and more steel cased ammunition on the market, and less brass. Look at Hornady. They're going into steel cased ammunition whole hog. A decade ago it was only Soviet Mil Surp ammo that utilized steel cases. Now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. It costs a lot of money to get into reloading with good equipment. But it is definitely worth it if you buy your components in bulk, and reload in a large enough volume. But regardless it requires brass cases if you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back