5.3L Oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 05 GMC Yukon XL with the 5.3L, I know the original spec filter was the the PF46/3506 and now I read where they changed that filter to the PF61/9837 which is used on my Trailblazer as well and the 06+ 4.2L's.

My question is what filter do they recommend using now, the PF46/3506 or the PF61/9837? I assume as much just go with the 9837.

The 3506 is the "correct" filter for the 2003 5.3 and what you will get if you get serviced at the dealership but the larger 9837 is exactly the same size except being about 3/4 of an inch longer. Your truck is currently specified for the longer filter anyways so I'd run with that.

I have always used the longer filter on my 5.3L equipped truck (AC PF61, Mobil M1-206 or Wix 51522 - these are the filters in my inventory right now). I also use the longer filter on my Chevelle, in fact any time I can safely fit the optional longer filters I do.

The longer, the better.

Generally, they are the same price, and you get a third more filtering area...

Been running oversized filters for 30 years, if the base is the same, and the bypass pressure the same, and it fits, it sits...

I figured as much, I guess once the free oil changes are up i will just use the longer filter.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
The longer, the better.

Been running oversized filters for 30 years, if the base is the same, and the bypass pressure the same, and it fits, it sits...

So-does using a longer filter increase your OCI?

Originally Posted By: CKN
The longer, the better.

So-does using a longer filter increase your OCI?

No

Run a Fram Ultra and then no need to worry about a longer filter. The Ultra will far surpass the capacity of even the longer filter.

I agree there is no benefit to running a longer filter over the Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Run a Fram Ultra and then no need to worry about a longer filter. The Ultra will far surpass the capacity of even the longer filter.

IF they made one to fit the LSxes, I would run a longer Ultra.
wink.gif

The longer, the better.

Thats what she said
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

IF they made one to fit the LSxes, I would run a longer Ultra.
wink.gif

XG3675
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
The longer filter should increase your OCI. Bigger filter = more oil = longer OCI

8 oz more added to 5 qts is a 8/160 = 5% increase. So instead of changing oil at 5,000 miles, it would be changed at 5,250 miles. Guess that would give most people an extra week of driving before doing the oil change.
grin.gif

Perhaps. But there is absolutely no real evidence of a larger filter doing anything except making folks feel good. At least there isn't much it could hurt.

I'm sure somewhere there is some isolated application where bigger is better, but for the overwhelming majority of drivers there is no real benefit.

But none of our "longer larger better" folks have been able to prove anything, just a feel good mod all the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back