5-20 recommendatins kills love affair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Toyota's move to some 5-20 specs, as in my wifes new Camry means I must desert my beloved GC Gold in that car. At least until warranty is over with. I am looking for the replacement but don't think any oil could find the place in my car's motor that GC has. I am so sad!
GregH

Clue me in...if GC is such a fantastic oil, why wouldn't it adequately protect the Camry engine, despite not being 5W20? I never ran 5W20 in my Mazda 3, despite it being stamped on the oil fill cap. It ran smoothly and quietly on Castrol 10W30 until after break-in, where it was switched to Mobil 1 EP 10W30.

If you love the GC so much, then why did you purchase the required 5W-20 Camry???...
wink.gif
wink.gif

Go back to it when the warranty expires. Don't be surprised to find out the Camry likes it better than what Toyota recommends.

quote:

Originally posted by GregH:
Well, Toyota's move to some 5-20 specs, as in my wifes new Camry means I must desert my beloved GC Gold in that car. At least until warranty is over with. I am looking for the replacement but don't think any oil could find the place in my car's motor that GC has. I am so sad!
GregH

Did you read the fine print in the owners and warranty manuals to see if Toyota allows xW-30? Sometime car companys recommend a certain oil but allow others. That seems to vary with the phase of the moon and the height of the tides though.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
iam saying to all of you that the new gf-4 oils 5w20 are showing an alarming rate of cam/lifter wear!!! from our mechanics here...

Can you elaborate on which oils are gf-4 oils?

First, my wife bought the car not me. That being said, the Camry is such reliable car that I would have chosen that for her. The 5-20 probably can be gotten around. I doubt that GC would kill the engine, her present Camry loves it and I may end up running it if I can't find another oil that I have faith in. Just thought it would be good for discussion also.
Thanks guys
GregH

quote:

When you switch to GC your Camry will run like you dropped an anchor out the window.

Is that true? If it is then there are a lot of cars with anchors dragging. Isn't Xw-30 weight is a popular viscosity in motor vehicles.
confused.gif

How would a dealership even tell if your running a 20 or 30 weight. Or would they ever bother to check anyway...personally I wouldn't even worry.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:

quote:

When you switch to GC your Camry will run like you dropped an anchor out the window.

Is that true? If it is then there are a lot of cars with anchors dragging. Isn't Xw-30 weight is a popular viscosity in motor vehicles.
confused.gif

Well, GC is on the high-end of the 30-weight scale...it's almost a 40-weight oil. Especially compared to most other synthetic Xw-30 oils (Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.) which are formulated thinner than GC.

I was mostly jokeing about the anchor, but I do think Toyota knows what they are doing in going to the 5W20. If it works as well as in my Fords then it will enhance performance and economy.

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:
How would a dealership even tell if your running a 20 or 30 weight. Or would they ever bother to check anyway...personally I wouldn't even worry.

Yes, the dealership will know. If you have an engine warranty problem, the first thing they will do is have an UOA done on your oil to see what weight it is. This will help them determine if the motor has the proper oil in it. If it is way off, then they will deny your warranty claim. Please do not tell people to disregard the oil weight that the manufacturer recommends for their vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129:

Yes, the dealership will know.

No, they won't.

quote:

If it is way off, then they will deny your warranty claim.

Used oils can shear down or thicken up, especially in an engine that has a problem. A UOA can tell what the current viscosity is, but can't accurately tell what the virgin viscosity was.

quote:

Please do not tell people to disregard the oil weight that the manufacturer recommends for their vehicle.

OK, can we tell them to run a weight that the manufacturer recommends for the exact same engine in another country then?

The fact is that running GC in any new Toyota or Honda car isn't going to cause an oil related engine issue ever, much less during the warranty period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back