4th Gear Freeway Romp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently replaced the 0w-20 oil in my Honda with 0w-30. Yesterday I took a drive along Route 66 to enjoy a little scenery and see what the butt dyno thought about the thicker oil. Same old same old: not as peppy in the lower rpm range, but smoother at higher rpm. I got on the interstate to head home and decided to keep it in 4th gear, traveling between 65 and 85mph for about 30 miles. Placebo or no, my car feels different after the 4th gear romp.

I followed Honda's instructions during break-in: no heavy braking for 200 miles, no cruise control or open throttle under load for 600 miles, etc. Afterwards I continued to baby it. I don't think I even hit 5,000 rpm before yesterday.

The little Civic seems to have developed more punch all over the rpm range since the freeway drive. I accidentally chirped the tires today while driving like I normally do; passing cars on the way to work was effortless; our server at lunch left me her phone number, etc.

So does this sound like a complete placebo effect, or is it possible that my car decided to finally break in at 12,000 miles?

Placebo effect or no, my car always seems to run smoother after I've gotten on it a bit, I doubt break-in has much to do with it considering I'm at 71k on mine. Probably more to do with burning all the gunk out of your cylinders, if anything.

Originally Posted By: tropic
our server at lunch left me her phone number, etc.

lucky bass turd

My Acura freed up at about 8K miles and ran great after 11K. I also broke it in gently and drive it the same way.

Character of the beast

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

"our server at lunch left me her phone number, etc."

That never happens to me and I'm not bad looking.

I once had a very heated fight with someone on the phone while sitting on a plane waiting for clearance to take off (it was about 2 hours). I got pretty worked up and ended up just hanging up the phone, only to basically have everyone within three isles staring at me. Whatever, not the first time I've caused a scene, certainly wouldn't be the last, close my eyes, wait to get there.

Near the end of the flight, a little slip of paper drops down over my shoulder, that says "Danielle" on it and a phone number with a Dallas area code. It was interesting to say the least--but I never called her because a) I don't live in Dallas and b) I'm not sure I want to get involved with the type of girl that's attracted to my outbursts. But then, perhaps I do?

What are your intentions now?

passing cars on the way to work was effortless; our server at lunch left me her phone number, etc.

When you pulled into the parking lot, were you driving like this?

Who knows, maybe you "taught the car something" in the spark timing or AFR tables in addition to something mechanical.

I don't think I'll ever beat on this car, but it looks like a bit of spirited driving when she's warmed up can be a good thing. I'll probably leave the heavier-than-recommended oil in there for a normal OCI, too. No worries about accelerated wear using a 30 grade instead of a 20... right?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss

What are your intentions now?

To take my newly-reassured manliness home to my girlfriend. I hope I'm getting wiser, not just older. I gave the girl a (hopefully) GQ smile and waited til I got back to the office to throw out her number.

Check out the absolute viscocity table on the BITOG homepage, if 0w20 is only ~20 degrees cooler than operating temp it's thicker than Xw30 at temp... there would not have been noticable, bad, wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back