4175mi unknown in 01 Taurus, post leaking intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the taurus I bought the beginning of last Decemeber. I took this UOA about 250 miles after I replaced the intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets. This report is not near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I changed the oil at a local lube place for a short OCI. They refilled with Universal Ultra Eco synthetic blend and a prime guard filter, which is ok with me as this will be a short OCI to finish flushing out the contaminates and it was cheap. The PO said he used the cheapest full syn from menards, around here that would mean this is PP 5w20, the only 5w20 full syn at menards. It could also be something else like formula shell. The filter was a Fram TG, so with the 99% specs, there must have been a lot of crud in the oil with an insolubles high. Here is the link to pics of the engine, which if there was a little coolant that has been sneaking by for a while, it explains the varnish thats there, if the OP did do 5K OCI on full syn. They are big pics so it takes a few seconds to load. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2858625#Post2858625

Google Drive link to actual UOA.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3RX9TPRoup7T0RnQ010YTlaMTg/edit

Code:
OIL Unknown 5w-20

MILES IN USE 4,175 mi

MILES 95,628

SAMPLE TAKEN 01/11/13

MAKE UP 0

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 20

COPPER 5

LEAD 2

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 49

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 9

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 52

BORON 16

SILICON 87

SODIUM 152

CALCIUM 2272

MAGNESIUM 19

PHOSPHORUS 726

ZINC 855

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.5%

WATER 0%

FLASHPOINT ºF 405

SUS VIS 210ºF 53.4

cSt @ 212ºF 8.30

Fuel 0

ANTIFREEZE POS

TBN NA

After seeing the QSUD uoa above, this oil looks idential to the QSUD, which menards sells. Must of got some from the other menards near by.

I was also going to mention QS full syn at Mendards; it's probably the one I see most often in our local store.

About the Fe, I'd simply keep an eye on it for now. The insolubles is not overtly high; it is also a visual judgement against a standardized ranking, so there is a small amount of variability in the report from that perspective.

The Vulcan is an excellent engine overall. About the only issue you'll see with that generation of Vulcan is that the distributor drive (it's not really a distributor any longer; it's more of a sequence timing e/m effect trigger) may come apart inside it's little housing. While the engine will run in a default mode, it does mess us the timing a bit. Easy to replace, but you need to set the timing to the right drive tooth (similar to a traditional distributor) with a small tool. I have had to do this before; not hard at all. The condition will often set the CEL and you may also have a small sqeaking noise come from the topside of the engine if this happens. Other than that, they are great engines. Wear very well and typically run cool enough that sludge is never an issue. Often can see these engines run far over 250,000 with just routine maintenance. I have owned two of these and had the valve covers off many times. Excellent little engines. They are not super powerful, but the get the job done well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I was also going to mention QS full syn at Mendards; it's probably the one I see most often in our local store.

About the Fe, I'd simply keep an eye on it for now. The insolubles is not overtly high; it is also a visual judgement against a standardized ranking, so there is a small amount of variability in the report from that perspective.

The Vulcan is an excellent engine overall. About the only issue you'll see with that generation of Vulcan is that the distributor drive (it's not really a distributor any longer; it's more of a sequence timing e/m effect trigger) may come apart inside it's little housing. While the engine will run in a default mode, it does mess us the timing a bit. Easy to replace, but you need to set the timing to the right drive tooth (similar to a traditional distributor) with a small tool. I have had to do this before; not hard at all. The condition will often set the CEL and you may also have a small sqeaking noise come from the topside of the engine if this happens. Other than that, they are great engines. Wear very well and typically run cool enough that sludge is never an issue. Often can see these engines run far over 250,000 with just routine maintenance. I have owned two of these and had the valve covers off many times. Excellent little engines. They are not super powerful, but the get the job done well.

You got that right! Not very powerful but I didn't buy it for racing. On the interstate I get a solid 25-27mpg going 70-75mph, sure beats the mileage of the truck.

It is my theory that there are times when moderate power applications are very desirable.

Most of the older engine designs that last a LONG time are moderate in power; the Vulcan v-6, the old 4.9L I-6 Ford, the old slant-6 Chrysler, etc. They are not powerful, but perhaps because they are unable to "stress" themselves with high power, they can last an eternity with decent maintenance.

Regardless, the UOA looks good, and an eye on the Fe is warranted, if only out of curiosity. With the low miles you have on this car, it will last you a LONG time. Nice find for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back