4.8 Vortec

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little recent escapade. I've been running nothing but Mobil 1 5w30 (regular, not the extended performance trash) for all of the 65k this truck has on it. This past oil change I decided I would see if a changeup could quiet down the [censored] noisy lifters. So, I tried Mobil 1 ESP 0w30. The numbers on this indicate that it is slightly thicker and has a higher HT/HS. As an added plus, this oil is about 5 bucks a quart more expensive than the regular Mobil 1 which is readily available at Wal-Mart. Started the truck and did seem to observe higher oil pressures. However, the tick was still there. Went for a drive, came back, the tick was still there. So, the heck with it. I drained that stuff out and put good ole regular Mobil 1 back in. My last truck got Mobil 1 5w30, sold it with 186k on it and it showed ZERO signs of problems. So, I guess the tick is with me to stay and I'm going to stick with regular, Dexos approved Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
A little recent escapade. I've been running nothing but Mobil 1 5w30 (regular, not the extended performance trash) for all of the 65k this truck has on it. This past oil change I decided I would see if a changeup could quiet down the [censored] noisy lifters. So, I tried Mobil 1 ESP 0w30. The numbers on this indicate that it is slightly thicker and has a higher HT/HS. As an added plus, this oil is about 5 bucks a quart more expensive than the regular Mobil 1 which is readily available at Wal-Mart. Started the truck and did seem to observe higher oil pressures. However, the tick was still there. Went for a drive, came back, the tick was still there. So, the heck with it. I drained that stuff out and put good ole regular Mobil 1 back in. My last truck got Mobil 1 5w30, sold it with 186k on it and it showed ZERO signs of problems. So, I guess the tick is with me to stay and I'm going to stick with regular, Dexos approved Mobil 1.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance trash eh?

I noticed a higher burnoff rate in my sister's Cruze. It was for real. Back to regular Mobil 1 and no problem. A perusal of the PDS for the two oils will show the difference.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I noticed a higher burnoff rate in my sister's Cruze. It was for real. Back to regular Mobil 1 and no problem. A perusal of the PDS for the two oils will show the difference.
Yeah you're right, that one instance of one oil must make it trash.
33.gif

Changed it yesterday and used Castrol Edge HM 10W30 and a Fram XG10060. I told him to run it 6k this time and we will send it to blackstone for a UOA. Itll be the first UOA for this truck.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
CapitalTruck,

Is it tough to tell the difference between lifter tick and a header leak?

I'm not the one to ask right now because at this point I'm tilting at windmills. I see no signs of carbon tracking anywhere around the manifold, however, I'm going to look into that more. I think my next attempt will be to use a shopvac with a long hose to pull a vacuum on the exhaust system to see if I can hear/feel any sucking. I've looked/felt around the pipes when the truck was running and can't find anything. Like I said, that's going to be my next diagnosis project.

5w30. The company I work for has a fleet of vans with the 4.8 they are loaded down and severely underpowered. All of us run the pedal to the floor from standing starts. 5300 RPM is seen probably a dozen times a day by me and I drive it easier than some of your other guys drive their vans. They are all serviced at the Chevy dealer by OLM with Dexos 5w30.

Some of them have a couple hundred thousand miles of this abuse and still use no oil and run great. The one I drive has 90k.

It's an LS engine. Change the oil and run it hard. You can't kill them...not even with Turbos. Tough as nails.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

It's an LS engine. Change the oil and run it hard. You can't kill them...not even with Turbos. Tough as nails.

Latest issue of Hot Rod, that guy from Lingenfelter with the S10 and a stock 5.3 short block with 2 turbos. Hundreds of quarter mile runs (8.50s!) and it didn't puke until he got up to 31 PSI
shocked2.gif
boost.

I'm running 5W20 Redline in my 2003 4.8. I think the latest version of Mobil 1 0W40 is good for most 5W30 applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back