4.3 vortec issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delivery truck at work, its a 2008 with 170k miles as of today. Since I started working there in October, the CEL has been on, I havent paid much mind to it as my boss isnt really worried about issues like that besides oil changes, tires etc. I have noticed lately that the tailpipe is really sooty, and the exhaust absolutely reeks, when the truck is idling with the engine on, the truck otherwise runs fine and gets decent fuel mileage. I run it 70mph sometimes and any other speeds with no trouble. Could it be bad cats or a bad o2 sensor causing overfueling? I will bring my obd2 reader tomorrow and see what codes I can pull. I also noticed the transmission temps runs high, on a long 70 mph run itll get near 220, hottest it got is 223 and slowly creep down to around 200. I told my boss, we had it serviced, as he didnt want to possibly bun up the transmission, new filter and fluid but it still tends to run hot. Could it be a clogged trans cooler? Most likely none of these issues will get fixed until it causes a major problem, as I said my boss isnt concerned with these issues, but I'm curious. The tranny still shifts great with no problems.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by c502cid
The more you mess with it the more you are going to be blamed..... just drive it.

This

Yep. Owner was made aware of the issue, that's all you can do.

The more you mess with it the more you are going to be blamed..... just drive it.

+3 You got that right!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
If the owner of the vehicle doesn't care.......

This.

Trans temp @70mph seems normal - since cooler (in radiator) is bathed in coolant around 200 -210 degrees at full operating temp, at those speeds.

How are you planning on whipping out the code reader without anyone seeing you bring it into the vehicle? You'll end up losing your job from something like this. I wish I had a company vehicle to beat on.

220-225F is a little hot for a 4L60E (?), but if it is running Dex VI it won't hurt it. Honestly, at 170K, and if it's a hauler, the transmission is likely on borrowed time anyway!

Exactly!!! You've done your part, and more. You let the owner know. It's on him. And this sort, not taking responsibility now, will look for someone else to be "responsible" later when it fails. This type will, if remotely possible, rationalize why your efforts to help "caused" the failure. Keep your phone charged in case you need a ride. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back