35MM CAMERA

I miss film :( I was an early adopter of digital and after all these years I only wish I still had my Olympus OM2n back. I had a variety of fixed Olympus lenses. Olympus dedicated flash unit and the Olympus power winder.
Even as a teenager, I had a Yashika rangefinder that was a better quality camera that I saved up on my own as a teenager.

I loved digital but now as I got older, I don’t know digital images are dime a dozen sitting on hard drives in storage and on photo websites, such as Shutterfly and other places. I don’t even know what to do with the images it’s a chore to go through and delete hundreds of photos and maybe just get 100 or so printed out to leave for my children other than that who’s gonna wanna go through thousands of photos once I’m gone.

This is just me personally, but when I used film, I was much more “focused” on composing the picture and what I was doing because I was using film instead of taking half a dozen shots of something on the digital camera, and just choosing the best one out of them.
It’s kind of weird because not too long ago. I was just on eBay seeing if anybody even makes a film camera anymore and then seeing the used ones on eBay the next question is who does quality developing of 35 mm anymore?
Not you personally. Thanks for writing so well exactly want I wanted to say. Focused (y)

Just me, but I'd skip a half frame camera. I had a Pen FT for a while, but didn't use it much. 35mm is already stretched for quality, and 72 frames on a roll for me means that it tends to sit a lot.

Lately I've been using my Leica M3. It's maybe the best built camera I've ever handled. I've mostly been using it with a 50mm f/2 Summicron dual-range and a 35mm f/2.8 Summarit, but it's just a dream to use. Leicas are a deep rabbit hole to go down, though, so don't necessarily look at that. Rangefinders in general have their own quirks and learning curve, and old Leicas like the M3 have to be vetted carefully because they're prone to problems like desilvering or prism separation that can make the rangefinder patch difficult if not impossible to see. The M3 also adds an extra layer of fun as the viewfinder covers the area of a 50mm lens, only, so you either need a secondary/external finder to use something wider than 50mm, or use a lens with auxilliary optics("goggles") to change the viewfinder coverage. I have the latter on my 35mm lens-it looks goofy but works.

One of the things I'd caution is that there's a lot of junk out there.

Unless you just really want a point and shoot, I'd avoid that and opt for an interchangeable lens camera of some sort. Most P&S cameras weren't that great, and the ones that were bring big money these days.

The big thing I'd be really cautious of is 70s and 80s consumer-level electronic heavy cameras. They tend to work great until they don't, and repairs are a nightmare. I've ventured inside a few, but they can be scary as a lot of the electronics are on flexible circuit boards that are now very delicate/brittle. The Canon A series cameras, including the AE-1, AE-1 Program, and A-1, are notorious for this. t kills me to say that I consider them a bad idea in 2024, considering that my first "real" camera was an A-1that I still have and have used the snot out of, but honestly they were built kind of cheaply to begin with and time hasn't been kindest to them. I'd also avoid Minolta X series. Even pro cameras like the Nikon F3 and Canon New F-1 have some of the same ills, but they tend to be a lot more reliable...with F3s especially though, if your heart is set on one, well change your mind :) (I don't like the F3...) but also don't be tempted by a broken one. I fixed one once and amazingly it still works, but it was a mechanical issue with the shutter timing.

I'm a Nikon guy now and have been for several years, and I have owned at least one of every film SLR body Nikon except for the FM3a. I refuse to pay the prices they still bring-it was one of Nikon's last new film cameras and had a fairly short production life, and for me I actually consider it inferior to the FM2n(the FM3a basically is a kind of FM2/FE2 hybrid-the FE2 has aperture priority AE but is battery dependent, the FM2 is manual only with a 3 LED meter, and works without batteries. The FM3a is aperture priority with an FE2-type meter readout but can also work without batteries).

Here's kind of my general guidance:

1. If you want mechanical/manual focus, there were some great suggestions above especially in the FM and FE. The FM is all mechanical with a meter that reads out using 3 LEDs-it was quite high tech at the time, but is simple and intuitive to use. The FE is aperture priority(and of course manual). I don't like the meter read-out as much as the FM, but it's still easy and straightforward to use. The FM2(and FM2n) and FE2 are newer/"improved" versions of the FM and FE. The big differences are a a 1/4000 maximum shutter speed, up from 1/1000, and the flash sync speed improves from 1/125 to 1/200(1/250 on the FM2n). I have a preference for the FM2n, but there's also a big jump in price from the FM to the FM2 and if you're just getting into this, it's honestly probably not worth it.

Someone did mention the Nikkormat. I'm reluctant to suggest these for a few reasons, even though they are built like tanks. There were a bunch of cameras bearing the Nikkormat nameplate. Ignore the FS, which has no meter and really is more a collectors item now. The FT is a pain as you need to manual tell it the maximum aperture of the lens mounted. The FTn does this semi-automatically by twisting the lens to minimum aperture after mounting, but it's dependent on no longer available 1.35V mercury batteries for accurate metering. The FT2 can use much easier to find LR44 type silver oxide cells. The FT3, which is uncommon, works with AI(auto-indexing) lenses.

Of course don't overlook the pro bodies. The F2 IMO was a high point for Nikon, and it remains one of my favorite cameras, particularly the F2SB and F2AS versions. The F2A is a great option if you want an F2, and they are not that expensive. I love the Nikon F(I actually just bought yet another today-I think I have about 15 of them now) but the F2 fixes a lot of ergonomic quirks that the F has, including adding things like a swing-open back for film loading.

Most anything else is great, but there are two specific models I'd avoid-the EM and the FA. The former was Nikon's lowest end camera at the time it was introduced, and essentially is meant to be used only as an auto exposure camera(aperture priority). It has only very, very limited manual controls(you can select the flash sync speed, 1/125, manually but that's it). The FG succeeeded the EM and is a great and often overlooked camera(I'd personally avoid the FG20, which is more or less just a cheapened FG). The FA might get some controversy from Nikon faithful, but I'm still salty over mine with an intermittent fault that causes random blank frames and that I can't track down. I have another that I think works fine, but what's the saying-once bitten, twice shy? It's a shame too as it's a technically impressive and very capable camera.

2. If you want something modern with auto film advance, autofocus, etc, first of all, I'd suggest just chopping off the bottom end cameras like the N55, N65, N75, N4004 etc. The N70 is a bit of an oddball and I kind of like it, but the controls definitely are on the unconventional side and not the easiest to learn.

Among these, I'd stick to the advanced amateur/semi-pro and pro level bodies. I actually kind of like the N80, which also has really good compatibiltiy with modern Nikon lenses, but watch out for broken film door latches. The N8008 is great, y but IMO I'd skip it and go to the N90, which is similar but has somewhat better AF and plays nicer with new(er) lenses. The F100 is probably the bang-for-buck stand out in this bunch, just like it was the hottest camera of the year when it was introduced in 1999. Autofocus is nearly as good as the F5, lens compatibility with old and new is great, and they honestly are pretty reasonably priced these days. I love the F4, but it's a polarizing camera and not necessarily one I'd recommend going out to buy. The F5 is great, and more affordable than ever, but it's a beast that eats 8x AA battereis like they're candy. The F6 is wonderful, and if I wer going to only keep one 35mm SLR it would be tough for that to not be the one I'd pick, but the F100 gives you probably 90% of what the F6 offers at 1/5 or less the price.

That's just my suggestions and thoughts from someone who has WAY too many cameras...

And BTW, just since I love looking at it as much as I love using it, this has been my kit for the past few weeks. This was the only camera I used on a trip last week. I'm no longer using the meter shown here-I'm using a Voigtlander VC Meter II
IMG_1034.jpeg

There are lots of quality SLRs from the 60s-90s on ebay for under $100, particularly from "orphan" brands like Minolta whose lenses don't fit autofocus or digital bodies.
The Minolta Maxxum bodies with A-mount lenses were autofocus and will also fit the Sony Alpha line of digital bodies.

I'm a Nikon guy now and have been for several years, and I have owned at least one of every film SLR body Nikon except for the FM3a...
Cool, it isn't often I find someone with more of a Nikon addiction than me! I only have an S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2 (two of them), FA, N90S and three DSLRs. I'm a mere rookie! Plus Nikkormat FTn and EL (that's the one that hides its battery under the reflex mirror).

I think my favorite is the F2. Such a gorgeous camera, everything engraved like fine jewelry. I kind of lucked into this one, when a friend was selling it with apparently very little use on it. I had been looking for one for awhile, and even considered getting one at Helix Camera downtown which had just gotten in a bunch of them in trade from the Chicago Sun Times.... They were all super worn and looked like they'd been through a war! But apparently they all still worked.... I probably should have got one just for the novelty.

002cz.jpg

Eljefino brings up good points about old cameras and sending your film away. Not much point in a film camera if the place is digitizing the images and tossing the film but here’s the thing, up til 2005 we owned a minilab and had the latest equipment by Noritsu. It scanned the film and printed digitally on wet process paper but we didn’t toss the film. It may be impossible today to get true optically printed wet process color prints.

For used equipment KEH Camera was a trusted source still in business.

For used equipment KEH Camera was a trusted source still in business.

I've bought a lot from KEH. Their selection is as good as ever, and they do stand behind their stuff.

With that said, I feel like they've "slipped" a bit compared to the company I first dealt with in 2006 or so.

For one thing, I'd say I've had more transaction issues in the last ~2 years than I had in all the years prior. I don't really want to add up how much I've spent with them over the years, but I know it's easily in the solid 5 figure range, probably mid-5-figures(which is kind of scary to think about, and no I do not still have everything I have bought from them).

In any case, I think the worst mistake I've seen is the D3X I ordered, and received a D3. It was bagged with an inventory tag that matched the serial number of the camera I received, claimed D3X on the tag, but it most certainly was not a D3X. They did make it right, though.

As a general observation, too, I feel that their quality standards are slipping somewhat. KEH Bargain use to be Ebay "Excellent" if not "Mint." Bargain grade is still functional(well unless it's not...but they'll take care of it if that happens) but the cosmetic condition for what makes the cut of Bargain has gone way down. I've received Bargain recently that in the past would have been graded Ugly. The aforementioned D3(that was supposed to be a D3X) had body rubber fall off when I pulled it out of the inventory bag, and most of what remained was just barely hanging on.

I started with film as a kid in the late 60's. I loved film until 2007 when it became nearly impossible and expensive to get developed and printed.

Then I bought my sister-in-laws worn out DSLR, Canon 10D (she was a professional wedding/portrait shooter). When that camera died I bought a used mirror less Fujifilm (X-T2). I loved the ergonomics, features, film simulations and output. Reminded me of my old Nikon.

Last summer I started reading about CCD sensors and their unique files. Doing a lot of research, I purchased an old Nikon D200, and later, an old D80 (compact and lighter walk around).

OMG! Not just the output but the handling of older DSLR's has brought me back to my film camera days.

I still shoot like film. Slow, methodical single shots. No burst mode for me! I shoot for my satisfaction and learning. Don't care what happens when I'm gone.

Now I know there is a D700 out there looking for me. Full frame, YEA!

Back