.308 Win or .25-06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Thanks for the heads up on sticking to a left handed rifle for safety reasons. Im all about safety.

With that said, I have been considering a Remington pump action Model 7600 in .308, would this be an unwise decision as Im assuming they only make it in a right hand model?

I'm a leftie and own zero leftie rifles, primarily because I find I'm faster cycling the bolt right-handed and selection of course. I only own one semi though, and it's a shotgun, the rest are all bolt guns and I have a pump as well.

I wouldn't sell a rifle my dad gave me unless he bought me another one and told me to sell the old one. And then I'd still keep the old one. Keep using it. Buy bullets that are suited to your game. .25-06 is light for moose. Just buy another rifle for the moose hunt. Serviceable rifles are dirt cheap these days.

Regarding your question about a Remington 760/7600 pump rifle. Yes they would be considered a right hand gun, even though they made some "left hand" versions. All they did was switch the safety and the cheek piece around.

Left hand bolts are easy to find these days, pumps and levers, nada. There are some lefty semi-auto shotguns and I believe Browning still makes a left hand semi-auto rifle. Stag Arms makes a left hand AR. Not a lot else I am aware of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Thanks for the heads up on sticking to a left handed rifle for safety reasons. Im all about safety.

With that said, I have been considering a Remington pump action Model 7600 in .308, would this be an unwise decision as Im assuming they only make it in a right hand model?

I'm not sure but my guess is that the 7600 vents out the bottom and the ejection port. I have one in 30-06 and I'm not afraid to shoot it.

Please keep in mind there's a big difference between the 760/7600 and the 740/7400. The pump is generally regarded as a good, reliable and accurate gun. The 7400 is generally regarded as being less reliable and much less accurate. I don't remember the exact reason for the accuracy difference but I'm sure a little searching will find it. Whatever you do don't buy a used 742. Those guns essentially tear themselves apart with every shot and are not repairable. Again, a guick search will tell you more than you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back