3.6L pentastar set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what is everybody's thoughts on this type of system? i've had a prius with this same configuration as well, and although i don't mind it was just curious on other peoples thoughts. does the oem filter have a good particle trap rating? how about no adbv on these? q's like this have me curious that's all.

I like it, [I don't own one yet] but I read on various boards about the filter housing cracking and leaking in the valley between the cylinder heads. It seems the 2014 Wranglers are having issues, I'm not sure about the other models.

I like it also. I have 2. I haven't had any issues, nor have I read of any. I hated my previous cartridge filter -- mounted from the bottom. That was horrible to change. These are so easy, and mess-free. I've been using Wix/Napa Gold in mine. It did take some getting used to -- checking the oil while hot. I've always checked while cold in all my past vehicles.

At least it's not buried as bad as the Ecotec 4 bangers.

Cartridge filters are a wonderful idea but I usually find them implemented poorly on most American cars.

Ham fisted "mechanics" reefing the oil filter caps down to 900 ft/lbs doesn't help matters..

Originally Posted By: 1990LTD

Ham fisted "mechanics" reefing the oil filter caps down to 900 ft/lbs doesn't help matters..

The cracked filter housings I read about were on 2014 Wranglers IIRC. This was on a few Jeep forums. I believe someone claimed the torque figure for the filter cap is 18 inch pounds. If that is in fact the case it would be very easy to over tighten one and possibly cause damage.

I've been collecting info on the Pentastar as I have a 2014 Wrangler. My earlier thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...hou#Post3431075

Torque spec is 25 N/m, or approx 18 FT/lbs, not inch/pounds, as I understand it, though that seems high.

My newest information is that the Mopar filter is made by Sogefi, which is big Italy-based filtration multinational that seems to own Fram...surprised me, I gotta say. You'll see in the pics I posted that the Mopar and Fram filters look very different.

I now believe Sogefi must also make the oil filter/cooler unit, as the name is faintly inscribed on the unit's cap. It is indeed coming under attack on Jeep forums for cracking and leaking on 2014 Wranglers. No leaks so far in 8,000+ miles but I'm checking at the base where the little oil cooler lives...

Commo

The original Pentastar filter/cooler unit was designed and manufactured by Hengst. Up here, that is what the Mopar filters are as well, at least for first design filter. Not sure where Sogefi comes in, I thought Fram was owned by the Rank Group.

I like the set up, as said better location than the Ecotec for sure.

It seems like a substantial piece, I wouldn't think it would be easy to crack. I gave up on torquing the cap when I had the Ecotec, now I just spin it down till it touches and then snug it up.

Originally Posted By: Commo
I've been collecting info on the Pentastar as I have a 2014 Wrangler. My earlier thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...hou#Post3431075

Torque spec is 25 N/m, or approx 18 FT/lbs, not inch/pounds, as I understand it, though that seems high.

My newest information is that the Mopar filter is made by Sogefi, which is big Italy-based filtration multinational that seems to own Fram...surprised me, I gotta say. You'll see in the pics I posted that the Mopar and Fram filters look very different.

I now believe Sogefi must also make the oil filter/cooler unit, as the name is faintly inscribed on the unit's cap. It is indeed coming under attack on Jeep forums for cracking and leaking on 2014 Wranglers. No leaks so far in 8,000+ miles but I'm checking at the base where the little oil cooler lives...

Commo

Like I said I wasn't sure. 18' lbs sounds about right 18" would be tough to even measure. I'm sure about the 2014's having the problem with the housing cracking issue. IMO a DIY guy could probably avoid that hassle by using care not to over tighten that cap.

Some of the cap cracking issues were from using the wrong filter also. Chrysler made a change in 2013 I believe and some of owners of the 2014 had gotten the wrong filter thus causing the cap to crack when they tightened it.
I like the set up = clean & easy oil change.

Originally Posted By: LC
Some of the cap cracking issues were from using the wrong filter also. Chrysler made a change in 2013 I believe and some of owners of the 2014 had gotten the wrong filter thus causing the cap to crack when they tightened it.

That makes sense too. I read a lot of cases of the dealer servicing them and the owner developing a leak shortly after. Hopefully the dealer has the brains to use the right filter, over tightening it is another story though.

The setup itself is awesome.

Originally Posted By: LC

CORRECT...i know the 14' uses mo-349 oem filter as a part #

Originally Posted By: 1990LTD
At least it's not buried as bad as the Ecotec 4 bangers.

Cartridge filters are a wonderful idea but I usually find them implemented poorly on most American cars.

FWIW the Ecotec isn't a bad setup if you have the correct socket and use a flex head ratchet. But as you said, it could have been done better.

Originally Posted By: cp3

It seems like a substantial piece, I wouldn't think it would be easy to crack. I gave up on torquing the cap when I had the Ecotec, now I just spin it down till it touches and then snug it up.

Yup. I grease the bejesus out of the new O-ring and get some oil on the threads, and just barely touch it after it seats.

I haven't had any filter housing cracks or leaks on my Jeep, and I have 30K. I'd had many other issues (leaks, etc.), but that's another story. I always use a torque wrench when tightening, and lube everything real well (filter end caps, threads, o-ring, etc.). I'm guessing those that have cracked, do not use a torque wrench. I have not read of this happening on WK2s, nor my car.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I haven't had any filter housing cracks or leaks on my Jeep, and I have 30K. I'd had many other issues (leaks, etc.), but that's another story. I always use a torque wrench when tightening, and lube everything real well (filter end caps, threads, o-ring, etc.). I'm guessing those that have cracked, do not use a torque wrench. I have not read of this happening on WK2s, nor my car.

From what I've read and heard it is the 2014 wranglers that are having the problems. I'm not sure on the other models though. The other years seem OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back