3.6 Pentastar camshaft bearing cap issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking to see if anyone else has had, or knows of a common problem, with the bearing cap on the Pentastar's camshaft? I'm familiar with the engine having issues with the left side, 2013s and before, but mine is on the #1 cylinder.

The Pentastar is in the Durango found in my sig. She currently has 114,000 miles on her and has been babied with the exception of towing my Honda SxS on occasion. It all started with a check engine light at 112k miles showing P0301. Figured I had a bad plug - changed the plug and reset the light. Light re-appeared about 1,500 miles later. This time I expected to find out I had a bad coil. My Durango has the Maxcare warranty so I took it to the dealer. Dealer replaced the coil as expected but received another P0301 code. After a few days of troubleshooting, the dealer told me my camshaft cap need to be replaced. They have also told me the part is on backorder with no expected ship date. They can not offer even a guess as to when it might be in. My ride has been in the shop two weeks and counting at this point.

Just curious if any of the many Pentastar owners on this board have experienced or heard of this issue? All of my Google searches have shown the pre 13 issues with this left side and I can't find anything having to do with a camshaft cap or anything on the right side.

Thx.

We've had a couple not even due for service (oil change) yet come in for engine noise that ended up needing cams replaced. We don't maintain our fleet really well, but these issues have come before any basic maintenance was even due so it couldn't be blamed on our poorly maintained fleet.

I heard they had heat treating issue on some cam parts but this was prior to 2013. maybe a few got into the parts bins for later engine assembly. Looks like an easy fix at least being on #1

I'm into Jeeps, so a lot of people have that engine in Wranglers. Never heard of the cam bearing caps, but have heard of them needing new heads fairly early on.

Isn't a cap usually cut from the entire casting? Can that be replaced or is it time for a whole new head.

At least with the bottom end of engines and differentials it is.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I heard they had heat treating issue on some cam parts but this was prior to 2013. maybe a few got into the parts bins for later engine assembly. Looks like an easy fix at least being on #1

I agree. I think that might be the case for the heads too. Possibly some of the AA AB heads got put on some engines built after MY 2013. I recall reading somewhere companies do that sometimes to spread out warranty claims over the years. They'd do that if they had a bunch of expensive parts found to be of poor design, and they were certain not all of them would fail.

After sitting here stewing on it more, I decided to call the dealer and ask for the work order number. I told them I planned on calling Chrysler to raise cane about (Chrysler) not having parts and not giving me an expected ship date. My Service Advisor was out to lunch and I was told I would get a callback. Twenty minutes later I get a call and miraculously the parts were delivered late yesterday...about 3 hours after I was told there was no expected ship date. The whole thing sounds shady to me - that's why I don't trust dealers.

Anyway, after talking with the SA more - I was told it's not the cap getting replaced but the whole head. So I guess the right side and 2014+ MYs are prone to the same type of failures as the 2013s and below MYs. Like Chris142 said above, looks like the Pentastars like to eat cams.

This is the first issue I've had with my Durango. Up until this point, she had been flawless.

Originally Posted by ad244
I hope its under warranty

Fortunately, I purchased the Maxcare Lifetime warranty shortly after buying the vehicle. I was able to buy the plan close to cost so I am glad I waited.

To answer your post, yes - it is under warranty.

Originally Posted by Mantooth
After sitting here stewing on it more, I decided to call the dealer and ask for the work order number. I told them I planned on calling Chrysler to raise cane about (Chrysler) not having parts and not giving me an expected ship date. My Service Advisor was out to lunch and I was told I would get a callback. Twenty minutes later I get a call and miraculously the parts were delivered late yesterday...about 3 hours after I was told there was no expected ship date. The whole thing sounds shady to me - that's why I don't trust dealers.

Anyway, after talking with the SA more - I was told it's not the cap getting replaced but the whole head. So I guess the right side and 2014+ MYs are prone to the same type of failures as the 2013s and below MYs. Like Chris142 said above, looks like the Pentastars like to eat cams.

This is the first issue I've had with my Durango. Up until this point, she had been flawless.

Most of the failures with MY 2013 and below were with the left head. There were some instances of the right head failing, but the majority of problems were with the left head. IIRC reading the other day the left head failure rate for MY 2013 and below was 11 out of 1,000. They extended the warranty for the left head on those years.

First time hearing about a bearing cap/head issue, I know the rockers have been known to fail and eat a cam though.

My dad's 2012 is on the original heads and over 300K. That said he got the letter in the mail from FCA telling him that the warranty on the heads has been extended for 10 years or 150,000 miles for all vehicles because it's a known defect with the heads.

The good news is the new heads are really good. We have a 2014, 2017, 2018 along with my dad's 2012 in the family and all have been great even after high miles.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My dad's 2012 is on the original heads and over 300K. That said he got the letter in the mail from FCA telling him that the warranty on the heads has been extended for 10 years or 150,000 miles for all vehicles because it's a known defect with the heads.

IIRC the warranty was extended only on the left head for all vehicles MY 2011-2103.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

IIRC the warranty was extended only on the left head for all vehicles MY 2011-2103.

I'd have to read it again, not sure... Might be. I just assumed it was both heads. They later revised the oil pumps to flood the heads with more oil as well.

I haven't heard of this one either. Glad to hear it's getting fixed without too much drama.

Did they say which cam bearing cap? Looks like there's 4 per cam. Like said, they're matched so you'll get a whole new head.

I'd be curious to know how the suspect cap/bearing failed. Did the oil hole get plugged somehow, was it a material failure, etc..

They later revised the oil pumps to flood the heads with more oil as well.

Do you know what year they revised the oil pumps?

Everything has been great so far on my wifes 2011 200 with the Pentastar. Fingers crossed, but there is the factory extension warranty on the heads should they fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back