3.5L ecoboost SHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: cnatra
what about some Rotella T6 5w-40 ??

Better HTHS for a turbo engine ?

Would the "thicker" oil help with fuel dilution ?

Or maybe mix 1qt of T6 with a 5w-30 PP or M1 EP ?

What is HTHS of T6? Is it better then Castrol 0W40 which is 3.7cp? NOACK of T6 is 12.6% and Castrol 0W40 is 9.1%. Higher NOACK more CBU problems in DI engines.
I seriously do not know why someone would even look at T6 on shelf if Castrol and M1 0W40 are available.

I've read T6 HTHS is 4.0 but need to go back and find the thread that was cited in, may have been Canadian specd oil

I have the following information on T6 5w-40 from a spreadsheet that I use to keep track of some oils. Unfortunately I don't have the reference document to back up this info.

Viscosity at 40C: 87
Viscosity at 100C: 14.2
Pour Point: -45C
Viscosity Index: 169.5
CCS: 6,000 @ -30C
HT/HS: 4

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2844268

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2243973

So I'm interested in the idea of a 0w-40 , 5w-40 or 10w-40 to help with fuel dilution.

Which Castrol ?

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/castrol-edge.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Great oil but some have indicated Shell does not consider it Cat Con friendly ...

is that because of the high zinc or phosphorus content ?

Last edited:
There are some concerns about LSPI (a type of knock) in DIT engines...

LSPI - A Knock on the Newest Engines

I honestly have not heard of it cropping up in the EcoBoosts, but my FXT was recalled for something that sounded a lot like it and there was a lot of buzz on the web a few years ago about Veloster Turbos blowing up when fairly new.
I have been using M1 5W30 because of the likely link between LSPI and high Ca content in oil, M1 5W30 ESP is a more robust (and expensive) version that is also low in calcium and has higher HTHS and lower NOACK. T6 is also fairly low in calcium, but I was not crazy about its NOACK and my memory is that it was high SAPS (also did not like the CCS for my cold weather location).
LSPI may not be a practical issue in the EcoBoosts, just wanted to throw it out there as more info for your consideration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
Castrol 0W40 has HTHS of 3.5 according to PDS at Castrol website.

PDS link

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: cnatra
what about some Rotella T6 5w-40 ??

Better HTHS for a turbo engine ?

Would the "thicker" oil help with fuel dilution ?

Or maybe mix 1qt of T6 with a 5w-30 PP or M1 EP ?

What is HTHS of T6? Is it better then Castrol 0W40 which is 3.7cp? NOACK of T6 is 12.6% and Castrol 0W40 is 9.1%. Higher NOACK more CBU problems in DI engines.
I seriously do not know why someone would even look at T6 on shelf if Castrol and M1 0W40 are available.

That is minimum 3.5.cp because ACEA A3/B3 requires minimum 3.5cp. That is how Castrol provides HTHS for all products in the U.S. However, considering that Castrol 0W40 that we use is same Castrol 0W40 that is used in Germany, HTHS is 3.7.
Also, yes higher HTHS will be better for turbo engine, but how high HTHS? We are talking about FORD not M5, AMG etc. and even those cars that are far more sophisticated are using 0/5W30/40 ACEA A3/B3 B4. The question is whether 4cp HTHS in T6 (if it is that) will provide more advantage over not so impressive NOACK which actually creates real problems in DI engines? Also, fuel dilution is not a problem if car is driven on HWY and if it is driven as grocery getter, then OCI should be adjusted accordingly.
However, why would Shell make one oil for cars (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40) and other oil for trucks (T6) if T6 is somehow better?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Both, but if the motor is not a smoker (burning oil), it won't matter ...

It will bcs. of high NOACK (evaporation loss).

Last edited:
My thoughts are the cats tend to be really long on warranty, expensive, and if anyone thinks there is not more regulation to come - get them A&D tested. Yes, everyone has their own comfort zone on out of OEM spec oil ...
Like if you're supposed to run GL5 etc ...

M1 EP is not better oil than regular M1, it just may last longer and at 5,000 mile oil change intervals it is not in any way a better oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
M1 EP is not better oil than regular M1, it just may last longer and at 5,000 mile oil change intervals it is not in any way a better oil.

I think EP has more PAO and some other more sophisticated additives.

As a fellow SHO owner here (2010) with 103k, I'll weigh in with my $0.02:

Use whatever you like that meet's Ford's specs. The car most likely won't care. For the first 70k or so I did my changes by the OLM (7.5K) at the dealer. This year we had to use 5w20. After that I've been DIY with Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram Ultra for better filtration.

The FWD 3.5 Ecoboost is more different than alike vs the F150's unit (I used to think they were the same just flipped 90 degrees). For Example, the DI pump in the F150 is a Hitachi unit while ours is Bosch. We have a water pump driven off the timing chain, the F150 is external. There are many more and issues with the F150 do not necessarily cross over.

These turbos are water cooled so idling down is not necessary. Nice to the engine but not necessary.

Enjoy - these are great cars and awesome highway cruisers.

EP generally has more PAO in it. That makes it "better" in terms of low temperature performance and a better deal if you can get it cheap, since PAO is a more expensive base.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

EP generally has more PAO in it. That makes it "better" in terms of low temperature performance and a better deal if you can get it cheap, since PAO is a more expensive base.

$25.xx at Walmart today
$25.xx for Edge EP too.

I had never looked too closely at M1 5W30 EP and am surprised to see that it is not loaded with calcium...I had thought that the extended drain oils generally had a lot of it. It seems to have a pretty similar calcium and magnesium dose to what is shown for plain 'ol M1 5W30 on the PQIA website.
Hmmmmm....

5K-6K mile oil change interval with Pennzoil Platinum & a Motorcraft filter is perfect for you.

I like Mobil 1 as well, but Pennzoil is my preference.

Thanks for all the feedback !!

Think I'll send a few PMs for more specific details on a few suggestions ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back