28 year anniversary since Ayrton Senna was killed....

Edit: I read in one of my old F1 history books that it wasn't so much Mansell had talent, per se, he was equipped with tennis ball sized "appendages". Supposedly he was fearless.

View attachment 98443
I think the tracks were rougher, less consistent surfaces, cars were a bit more of a handful, tracks definitely less safe... It let a brave driver send it into a fast corner a bit faster than a driver who like to have his brain rattled a bit less while spotting his braking point, at 150mph with scary crash barrier waiting for him...
I wouldn't say modern F1 cars and tracks are easy, but I think they are more consistent and predictable... The guys who spin out a lot now are the bravest ones as they are overdriving beyond their talent, but they now its not life and death, or even risking injury. Also the heavy cars, and tires now don't really reward slides or air time over a curb...
Having the tracks a little less ideal, would let the drivers do things that can't be modelled on a simulator.

Supercross shows this most IMO, the factory bikes are all pretty equal, tires don't degrade during a moto, but lap times have a much bigger variance, and the riders can do single laps or even sections that are exceptional, perhaps impossible by anyone else on the track that day. Or maybe another rider could go through the whoops that fast, but isn't going to risk as much? The old F1 tracks and cars could let Senna, Gilles, Andretti, or Mansell do stuff that no one else was willing to try that day.

I think the tracks were rougher, less consistent surfaces, cars were a bit more of a handful, tracks definitely less safe... It let a brave driver send it into a fast corner a bit faster than a driver who like to have his brain rattled a bit less while spotting his braking point, at 150mph with scary crash barrier waiting for him...
I wouldn't say modern F1 cars and tracks are easy, but I think they are more consistent and predictable... The guys who spin out a lot now are the bravest ones as they are overdriving beyond their talent, but they now its not life and death, or even risking injury. Also the heavy cars, and tires now don't really reward slides or air time over a curb...
Having the tracks a little less ideal, would let the drivers do things that can't be modelled on a simulator.

Supercross shows this most IMO, the factory bikes are all pretty equal, tires don't degrade during a moto, but lap times have a much bigger variance, and the riders can do single laps or even sections that are exceptional, perhaps impossible by anyone else on the track that day. Or maybe another rider could go through the whoops that fast, but isn't going to risk as much? The old F1 tracks and cars could let Senna, Gilles, Andretti, or Mansell do stuff that no one else was willing to try that day.
I agree with every single thing you said.

Scott

I would take my sons to Montreal in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I just went to watch Senna choose his lines in wet practice. And the 1991 MP 4/6 with the Honda RA121E V12 powerplant was the last of the gated shifter f1 cars. Nothing like the f1 of today. I am just glad that I got to see Senna at the peak of his form. Standing trackside, and watching, sometimes only a few yards away in spots, he was a mega talent . May day 1994 is a day that I will not forget. In my mind, I could, and cannot, accept, that he could make such a mistake that fateful day in Italy.

Last edited:
Clearly you two are knowledgeable race fans. Both your comments were very much a part of the post crash investigation.

And I too remember seeing Dale Sr. recognize Senna's death at Talladega. I don't think they ever met in person, and although very different from each other, I think Dale Sr. and Senna would have liked each other. If you "believe", perhaps they're sitting around with each other and smiling at my "friends comment".

Scott

An interesting back story to what happened at Dale's win at Talladega...

On a Satellite feed of the race where you get to hear the commentators during commercial breaks. Evidently ESPN had been listening to the 3 cars radio and Richard Childress had learned of Senna's terrible crash. Richard had told Dale Earnhardt about it while the race was under the yellow flag. Bob Jenkins and Benny Parsons had noted that radio communication between Dale and Richard.

And Bob had asked the ESPN producer if and when they should bring up Senna's crash while the race was under the yellow flag.

That's why Dale Earnhardt knew about the circumstance and talked about Senna right after his win that day.

Any Satellite feed races are really worth watching and listening to. Most are really quite funny and interesting to listen to.

On that day... It was quite somber after everyone learned about Aryton"s crash.

Another day similar was when JD Mc Duffie died at Watkins Glen race.... That was handled extremely well by Bob, Benny and Ned Jarrett. In that one commercial break right after they all had learned of JD dying in his crazy accident Ned Jarrett mentioned how well Benny had done speaking about that very, very difficult situation live and on air saying about Benny " no one could have done it better." Benny took the time and had the class, decency and honor to speak directly to JD's wife about what had just happened. And Ned as right. Benny's words at that time were perfectly chosen and exceptionally well stated.

I would take my sons to Montreal in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I just went to watch Senna choose his lines in wet practice. And the 1991 MP 4/6 with the Honda RA121E V12 powerplant was the last of the gated shifter f1 cars. Nothing like the f1 of today. I am just glad that I got to see Senna at the peak of his form. Standing trackside, and watching, sometimes only a few yards away in spots, he was a mega talent . May day 1994 is a day that I will not forget. In my mind, I could, and cannot, accept, that he could make such a mistake that fateful day in Italy.

Great post here ^^^^^^^

And I agree one hundred percent.

It was not a driver mistake I believe. No way.

A part failed... Terribly.

An interesting back story to what happened at Dale's win at Talladega...

On a Satellite feed of the race where you get to hear the commentators during commercial breaks. Evidently ESPN had been listening to the 3 cars radio and Richard Childress had learned of Senna's terrible crash. Richard had told Dale Earnhardt about it while the race was under the yellow flag. Bob Jenkins and Benny Parsons had noted that radio communication between Dale and Richard.

And Bob had asked the ESPN producer if and when they should bring up Senna's crash while the race was under the yellow flag.

That's why Dale Earnhardt knew about the circumstance and talked about Senna right after his win that day.

Any Satellite feed races are really worth watching and listening to. Most are really quite funny and interesting to listen to.

On that day... It was quite somber after everyone learned about Aryton"s crash.

Another day similar was when JD Mc Duffie died at Watkins Glen race.... That was handled extremely well by Bob, Benny and Ned Jarrett. In that one commercial break right after they all had learned of JD dying in his crazy accident Ned Jarrett mentioned how well Benny had done speaking about that very, very difficult situation live and on air saying about Benny " no one could have done it better." Benny took the time and had the class, decency and honor to speak directly to JD's wife about what had just happened. And Ned as right. Benny's words at that time were perfectly chosen and exceptionally well stated.
Although I think Mike Joy and Clint Bowyer do a great job, I think Bob Jenkins, Benny Parsons, and Ned Jarrett were the best broadcast team in television. I loved Benny. What a peach of a man.

Scott

Benny.jpg

Back