265-70r18 for 4wd?

I’m getting near replacement time for the tires on my 4wd Nissan Titan. The factory tires are 265-70r18. I use this truck for mostly towing a boat but it does get used for the occasional off road trip where an aggressive tread is advantageous. Any recommendations on a good tire that does well in mud but still gives decent treadwear and highway performance? I realize those two things are opposed to a degree, but is there a decent compromise tire design?

I realize these are not going to be cheap tires. I would rather pay a bit more for better performance so I’m willing to not just go with the lowest cost or in-stock option.

BF GOODRICH T/A KO2.
+1 Have done a lot of off-road work and highway driving on these tires, and they've never let me down. OTOH, I see you're talking about mud. May I suggest the BFG KM3. Apart from increased off road traction, it has a more durable sidewall that excels in rough country.

Last edited:
I run General Grabbers in that size on my 4x4
They may be fine on the road, but off road they left a lot to be desired. However, I did some rough trails and a little rock crawling, so my perspective may be a little different than yours.

They may be fine on the road, but off road they left a lot to be desired. However, I did some rough trails and a little rock crawling, so my perspective may be a little different than yours.
I've had the Generals down muddy two-tracks & through a blizzard in the Michigan UP hauling my snowmobile trailer - no complaints. KO2s are a fine tire, too - but in the size the OP is after, KO2s are only offered in a LT tire. Grabbers (A/TX) have both LT & P rated:cool:

I've had the Generals down muddy two-tracks & through a blizzard in the Michigan UP hauling my snowmobile trailer - no complaints. KO2s are a fine tire, too - but in the size the OP is after, KO2s are only offered in a LT tire. Grabbers (A/TX) have both LT & P rated:cool:
Certainly an important consideration. Thanks for pointing that out.

LT is light truck and P is passenger? So LT is better? A quick Google search tells me I would pay more for LT but they would be more ruggedly built, right?

Oh boy, you're opening up a huge can o'worms with that question!

LT tires are typically found on 3/4 & 1-ton trucks. They are more ruggedly built, but it's with the intention they are used for towing heavy loads. They run higher inflation (80psi'ish), have stiffer sidewalls to handle again, heavy loads, and are a more massive tire.

Can you run them on 1/2 tons? You bet, lots of people do, buuuttt....they'll degrade your unloaded ride quality at hi inflation and will negatively impact your fuel economy, and cost more up front.

ETA: I'm willing to bet your truck came with P rated tires - my 2019 Silverado 1/2-ton did & I have no desire for LT tires on it.

BF GOODRICH T/A KO2.
This. I got the LT C load range version. The C’s ride a tiny bit firmer than the oem p265/70r17’s that we’re on it, but it’s still a very comfortable ride.

In your size the KO2’s are only available in an E load range however… they’re quite a bit heavier and will ride firmer.

So - a mud tire and highway tire are pretty much on the opposing ends of the spectrum. Mud tires need solid blocks with big gaps between them. A highway tire needs smaller voids for tracking, especially at speed, and generous siping adds to wet road grip. The “big 3” above all have good feedback on them. I’d consider the Bridgestone Revo3, as a potentially interest attempt to add voids and blocks while also having some tracking and siping designs in them. I’ve not seen any bad review on it.

The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac also has a near-cult following - downsides are more towards shorter life (softer compound) and more noise. They have a newer alternative - the Wrangler Territory - which doesn’t have much time on it yet. There are folks that love the Duratrac, but I’ve not run them and tend to choose other brands besides GY in most of my buys.

Back