26 Years Young! “Happy Birthday” To One Of My 2 Dailey Drivers”

In about three months, it will be 26 years ago that this car rolled off the Buick city assembly line in Flint Michigan. That plant would be closed for car assembly about 10 months later and would end a long, proud history of Buick car production in what was one of the last vertically integrated production locations that GM used. I purchased the car 8 years ago from the first owner in the U.S who obviously took great care of her. Shortly after buying from him, I joined BITOG and learned a lot from the wise folks here on the forums about the car’s vaunted 3800 GM V6 engine and why I think I like it so much. When it comes to power trains, my needs are not that sophisticated. I don’t drive fast and I’m not drawn to vehicles with great horsepower ratings or race car handling. What I DO really find satisfying is torque. The torque curve on this engine meets my “Goldilocks test“ as feeling just right. I like being able to go from a stop and get up to speed quickly and smoothly and this engine is the smoothest I’ve ever driven. Our other daily driver is a Honda CRV which has a number of redeeming qualities, mostly utilitarian. Not a thing wrong with the vehicle, but I don’t enjoy driving or riding in it as much.

Funny, but I never imagined that one of my daily drivers could be a “vintage sedan“. The car just got its Springtime, semi annual oil change with Castrol GTX high mileage 10w30 weight oil. Sometimes, I run full synthetic 10w30 weight as well, but the car really just doesn’t seem to care what I put in it as long as I change the oil. I just gave the car a full vacuum and hand washing and got her dried off and thought I would take some photos to share. There is zero rust in this car and I took a few extra pics of the paint finish to demonstrate to those who sometimes say paint finishes can only last so long. This car has never been repainted and you can still see your reflection in the paint. The original owner used paint sealant (NuFinish) twice a year and and I apply paint sealant twice a year as well although I use Meguiars because it’s a lot easier to apply and buff off while giving me the same durability as the prior owners product of choice.

The first owner kept full and complete records of all maintenance ever performed including oil changes every 3000 miles (with Mobil 1,no less, LOL) and he changed the automatic transmission fluid every 30,000 miles just as I have. No automobile or engine design is perfect and yes, I had to do the lower and upper intake manifold gasket replacements that all of these engines needed, and it was done long before any issues could have occurred. I perform any maintenance that I feel is within my personal wheelhouse such as spark plugs, oil changes, ATF changes, power steering fluid flushes, and coils, of which I have needed to replace one. I have a local shop here that does any other repairs that are beyond my reach such as the one time the car required new rotors and brake pads. The rear drums are still original and work just fine.

No vehicle can do everything perfect, but this car excels at one mission, and that is comfort on the expressways. I guess the old Buick marketing slogan, “King of the open Road“ was true. Everyone I ever transport in this car falls asleep in it because it’s like riding on a silent cloud.
I have always been mystified but pleased with the extraordinary fuel mileage that I get when I’m on the highway. With ethanoll-free Shell, which we used to get here, I was able to get 31 1/2 MPG, which is extraordinary for such a heavy car with a four speed/overdrive automatic.

Nothing lasts forever, and I don’t know how long I will have the car, but I do know that every Fall, when I take the car to be oil sprayed to keep the chassis rust-free, the gentleman there always offers to buy the car off of me. There are very few of these left in Ontario given what the salt eventually does to all cars. One of the pictures that I am sharing is of the odometer which I just took along with these others and as you can see from the total mileage (true numbers) after 26 years, it is obvious what inspired the screen name I created when I joined BITOG 😎

IMG_6881.jpeg

IMG_6884.jpeg

IMG_6885.jpeg

IMG_6888.jpeg

IMG_6891.jpeg

IMG_6892.jpeg

Last edited:
In about three months, it will be 26 years ago that this car rolled off the Buick city assembly line in Flint Michigan. That plant would be closed for car assembly about 10 months later and would end a long, proud history of Buick car production in what was one of the last vertically integrated production locations that GM used. I purchased the car 8 years ago from the first owner in the U.S who obviously took great care of her. Shortly after buying from him, I joined BITOG and learned a lot from the wise folks here on the forums about the car’s vaunted 3800 GM V6 engine and why I think I like it so much. When it comes to power trains, my needs are not that sophisticated. I don’t drive fast and I’m not drawn to vehicles with great horsepower ratings or race car handling. What I DO really find satisfying is torque. The torque curve on this engine meets my “Goldilocks test“ as feeling just right. I like being able to go from a stop and get up to speed quickly and smoothly and this engine is the smoothest I’ve ever driven. Our other daily driver is a Honda CRV which has a number of redeeming qualities, mostly utilitarian. Not a thing wrong with the vehicle, but I don’t enjoy driving or riding in it as much.

Funny, but I never imagined that one of my daily drivers could be a “vintage sedan“. The car just got its Springtime, semi annual oil change with Castrol GTX high mileage 10w30 weight oil. Sometimes, I run full synthetic 10w30 weight as well, but the car really just doesn’t seem to care what I put in it as long as I change the oil. I just gave the car a full vacuum and hand washing and got her dried off and thought I would take some photos to share. There is zero rust in this car and I took a few extra pics of the paint finish to demonstrate to those who sometimes say paint finishes can only last so long. This car has never been repainted and you can still see your reflection in the paint. The original owner used paint sealant (NuFinish) twice a year and and I apply paint sealant twice a year as well although I use Meguiars because it’s a lot easier to apply and buff off while giving me the same durability as the prior owners product of choice.

The first owner kept full and complete records of all maintenance ever performed including oil changes every 3000 miles (with Mobil 1,no less, LOL) and he changed the automatic transmission fluid every 30,000 miles just as I have. No automobile or engine design is perfect and yes, I had to do the lower and upper intake manifold gasket replacements that all of these engines needed, and it was done long before any issues could have occurred. I perform any maintenance that I feel is within my personal wheelhouse such as spark plugs, oil changes, ATF changes, power steering fluid flushes, and coils, of which I have needed to replace one. I have a local shop here that does any other repairs that are beyond my reach such as the one time the car required new rotors and brake pads. The rear drums are still original and work just fine.

No vehicle can do everything perfect, but this car excels at one mission, and that is comfort on the expressways. I guess the old Buick marketing slogan, “King of the open Road“ was true. Everyone I ever transport in this car falls asleep in it because it’s like riding on a silent cloud.
I have always been mystified but pleased with the extraordinary fuel mileage that I get when I’m on the highway. With ethanoll-free Shell, which we used to get here, I was able to get 31 1/2 MPG, which is extraordinary for such a heavy car with a four speed/overdrive automatic.

Nothing lasts forever, and I don’t know how long I will have the car, but I do know that every Fall, when I take the car to be oil sprayed to keep the chassis rust-free, the gentleman there always offers to buy the car off of me. There are very few of these left in Ontario given what the salt eventually does to all cars. One of the pictures that I am sharing is of the odometer which I just took along with these others and as you can see from the total mileage (true numbers) after 26 years, it is obvious what inspired the screen name I created when I joined BITOG 😎

View attachment 222545

View attachment 222546

View attachment 222547

View attachment 222548

View attachment 222551

View attachment 222552
Which way does the hood articulate on that one?

Your LeSabre is in great shape! It will last a long time yet with a few minor repairs along the way.

The occasional one I still see on the road is usually looking pretty tired now after 25+ years. I've owned a LeSabre, two Park Ave's and an Olds 98. They were all good reliable cars, with only minor repairs needed. Unfortunately, nice low mile examples are hard to find now.

Last edited:
@4WD You have a good eye for detail Sir, since I am guessing you noted how the top of the grill meets the front hood edge? It opens in the front and articulates up and back toward the windshield as do most North American vehicles. What may have prompted your question is that this was one of the last cars designed where the grill is actually attached to the hood instead of to the lower facia. The rare times when it goes into my local mechanic’s shop, I always have to remind them to lift the hood by the steel edge and not by the grill. Plastic grills do not appreciate being used to lift heavy steel hoods after 26 years 🙄

View attachment 222545

View attachment 222546

View attachment 222547

View attachment 222548

View attachment 222551

View attachment 222552
I remember when I still worked at a Goodyear garage a customer brought the identical car (but maybe a 96) in for an emissions test and at the end of the day when he picked it up he said "what do you mean it passed?"
He thought he'd be getting a new car because he assumed it would fail. It was actually a pretty nice car though, not as nice as yours.

Many of these vintage are commonly driven by teenagers as they inherit them from grandma or when she decides to stop driving.

Great cars and kudos for taking excellent care. Looking forward to your 100k mile party photos! 🥳🎉
Yeah I see a lot of younger people driving cars like this.

Good deal & still has many miles to go. Wow, 8 years of ownership on a used car is quite the feet for some folks. Glad their are others out there that can find older vehicles worth keeping. Although not a 3.8L I always enjoyed the 2.8L that came into The Corsica's & others Like 3.1L & 3.4L. Dad had 200k on 1994 Oldsmobile Cutless Supreme when trans. went out. Looks like you've taken quite good care of this example. Thanks for sharing.

Mint..
Look into some Daylight LED Head Lights on Amazon.. There's some good ones. It will wake those right up..
I bought mine in 2018. Still going strong. I got this brand..

Where does 120W come from on those…halogen is 55 and xenon 35 I thought. LED should be even less. Wouldn’t that damage the wiring…

IMG_5689.jpeg

I had a 2001 Chevy Impala with 305,000 miles. Still ran like a top, but getting costly to keep up the repairs.

Gave it to my coworker, for her Daughter's school car. Think she drove it 2 more years, but it was becoming a rust bucket.

Mehh.. They are LED's so I doubt they are pulling 8+ amps!
When you buy a Household Bulb in LED form, they are advertised as the original incandescent or Halogen version when in fact they consume way less current..
I've tried a few brands between a couple vehicles, but the Nineo's were a game changer. I hope you get a great set if you choose to take this mission..

I always enjoy reading these types of threads. Congrats on keeping this baby going. Very nice.

Always liked the look of those Lesabres and the equivalent Bonnevilles, especially with that aero A-pillar windshield-to-side-window transition. Very cool.

I hope she goes another 25+ years!

Back