25k Service on the '17 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2017 Taurus Limited AWD (formerly my DD, now the wife's full-time car) hit 25k. This past Saturday, I did a bunch of maintenance.

I bought a pneumatic/manual fluid extractor to assist with the PTU and rear diff.

- Extracted and filled PTU with Redline 75W-140
- Extracted and filled rear diff with Redline 75W-90
- Drain and fill on the trans with Motorcraft Mercon LV
- Oil and filter change with Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Motorcraft FL500S
- New air filter, Motorcraft
- New cabin air filter, Motorcraft

My PTU fluid was not sludge or burnt up. The PTU was piping hot, and the fluid was a middle to darker brown. It did extract/suck out well. I feel confident in Redline and 25k miles for this unit, but wow it does get how and does need regular service.

The rear diff probably could've went without changing. Fluid was clean and looked good. Not sure that I will spend the extra on Redline for the rear diff going forward.

Transmission shifts better... if that's even possible. It shifted great before hand -- it is probably in my head.

All is well. Good and done in time for a few upcoming summer trips.

Originally Posted by Throt
Had that same car, loved it. Never should've gotten rid of it.

They have a couple of quirks (water pump on earlier models), aren't the most spacious, and they don't handle like a sports car -- but these are great cars. I do not think we will ever part with this thing. Even when the time comes for the wife to want something larger, I think this thing can sit in the garage as a spare car or maybe I'll just cruise it around when I am not feeling like driving the truck for a day.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Good amount of work, is the old gear oil smell still in your nostrils?

I can't get rid of it. I think I got some in my hair too which is awesome.

Originally Posted by Throt
Had that same car, loved it. Never should've gotten rid of it.

Ditto. Mine was front wheel drive but it was a really nice car. I sold it to an elderly couple after 110k miles and they are enjoying it just as I did. Now I'm jealous of redhat.

Edit- mine was a 2011

Last edited:
Well done
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Another underrated full size North American sedan that's going away soon.
frown.gif

So very true and sad. A Honda Accord is going to be a "big" sedan in the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back