.22 LR Personal Defense Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you ask questions to which you don't want to hear an answer?

Yes, a .22 will kill, but it's a terrible SD round. Maybe, if like the mobster in the video, the bad guy lets you put the gun behind his ear, then it's effective and quick, but in most circumstances, it's a terrible choice.

I think everyone read your question, even though you don't like the responses.

Your question was a bit like asking "What 1/4" ratchet wrench should I use for lug nuts?"

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Why do you ask questions to which you don't want to hear an answer?

Yes, a .22 will kill, but it's a terrible SD round. Maybe, if like the mobster in the video, the bad guy lets you put the gun behind his ear, then it's effective and quick, but in most circumstances, it's a terrible choice.

I think everyone read your question, even though you don't like the responses.

Your question was a bit like asking "What 1/4" ratchet wrench should I use for lug nuts?"

Why can't someone come on this forum and ask a Q? without instead, getting everything else thrown in that DOESN'T pertain to the Q? Is it that hard for someone to comprehend this? You people seem very educated. Is it you are trying to show off your IQ, accolades, want a ribbon........what is it?

You say you want to learn.

But you're not interested in what other people have to say.

And you don't see the problem in that?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You say you want to learn.

But you're not interested in what other people have to say.

And you don't see the problem in that?

I asked a Q? about .22 lr ammo for self defense. I then asked, PLEASE, positive replies only. Is that hard to understand? If I had wanted to know about what gun to carry or not, I WOULD HAVE ASKED THAT Q? Do you understand?

Get CCI Velocitors for SD if you are going to use a 22LR. They will be adequate for most humans.Too many people underestimate high powered 22LR. Certainly not the best but adequate in most cases and shot placement is more critical but easier to do if you have time.

As I read it, the OP is not debating the effectiveness or value of a .22 for defense, it is obviously not the best choice .
He is asking what the BEST choice of ammo in that caliber would be.
I would not want to rely on a .22 to defend my life, but it is better than nothing at all.
What's with all the negative comments here ?

Originally Posted By: PR1955
As I read it, the OP is not debating the effectiveness or value of a .22 for defense, it is obviously not the best choice .
He is asking what the BEST choice of ammo in that caliber would be.
I would not want to rely on a .22 to defend my life, but it is better than nothing at all.
What's with all the negative comments here ?

I just want opinions on a self defense .22 lr rd. Not what gun to use, not what gun not to use. If there isn't a good .22 lr ammo to use, simply just reply that. I don't need all of the extra baggage that is being put with the answer. C'mon, it's as simple as 123.

The 22lr is actually quite a deadly round, depending on shot placement. A 22 to the head, will almost guarantee a fatality. Enough energy to enter but not to leave the skull, resulting in the bullet bouncing around in the brain.

Same with the chest cavity, it will bounce around and tear up organs but will take a while to bleed as others have mentioned.

If I were to use a 22LR for defense I would alternate HP CCI with birdshot rounds. A face full of bird shot usually works well for a deterrent but the HP rounds do the damage.

CCI Mini-mag HP is the round. Do some google research on it. Pretty impressive.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Moderators, ADMIN, PLEASE close this thread!

Pretty obvious you opened this thread as a troll.
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

Get something in hollow point that runs reliably. In my case that is CCI Minimag.

I would not hesitate to use 22LR in a defensive situation because it is less likely to make me deaf when shot indoors and I can unload numerous rounds into the bad guys face due to the easy recoil. (I have a Ruger 10/22 type rifle loaded and ready)

So in the time it takes me to carefully place a few 9mm shots I can rip through a mag of 22 with more confidence.

And I have an arsenal of other calibers but I deliberately came to this decision after some serious thought.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Moderators, ADMIN, PLEASE close this thread!

Pretty obvious you opened this thread as a troll.
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

I guess you're going to say that I live under a bridge?
hooked.gif

I asked to have it closed because I felt that the replies that I was getting was going to cause me to say something to get me banned.

I would just go for whatever rounds have the highest energy. Solid tip or hollow point aren't likely to go through somebody, and no one is going to be wearing their Minnesota ice fishing coat in your area, so you might as well get the most energy.
I've used both for putting down goats(though forehead) and prefer the hollow point as it never comes out, but both have been very effective. I've got one coyote broadside into the chest cavity with a hollow point 38gr at 40 yrds(which maybe handgun energy levels?) and it did go 100 yrds before it dropped, but that's was like 5 seconds. It penetrated to the opposite hide and stopped.

Originally Posted By: Bobaloo22
A friend of mine is a cop here in Va. He was chasing a guy on foot and could only get his back up for some reason and shot the guy with a 22 (CCI mini mag) he hit him in the elbow and the bullet came out his neck behind the ear. I sure as heck would never want to be shot by one. My 2c, By the way I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm.

Probably because the man was pumping his arms with his head down and the bullet went in/out of the elbow and triceps region and then hit him behind the ear, as it was all in a straight line.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
Originally Posted By: Bobaloo22
A friend of mine is a cop here in Va. He was chasing a guy on foot and could only get his back up for some reason and shot the guy with a 22 (CCI mini mag) he hit him in the elbow and the bullet came out his neck behind the ear. I sure as heck would never want to be shot by one. My 2c, By the way I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm.

Probably because the man was pumping his arms with his head down and the bullet went in/out of the elbow and triceps region and then hit him behind the ear, as it was all in a straight line.

That's amazing!
shocked.gif

BOF, anytime you put .22LR and self-defense in the same sentence this is what you get, period, every time. It's easy to search and find examples of people doing actual testing in gel or phone books or goat's heads or watermelons but it's more fun to poke the hornet's nest. Do some real research if you're serious about carrying a 22.

Anyone who thinks they can put multiple shots in a bad guy's face/head in a life threatening situation needs a reality check. Suppressed .22s used to kill people with rifles or pistols point blank have zero to do with self defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back